View Poll Results: Should forum members continue to try to create a pattern sharing cd/dvd

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I would like to see it

88 83.02%
  • No - not worth time or effort

8 7.55%
  • I dont really care

10 9.43%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Pattern CD Poll

per request of forum members, I have taken down my page.
    Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post

????????????
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Damn, what a world we live in.

There are new members all the time and some of them are really talented. They will hopefully keep the the forum rich in PTN's.

Wonder why some members asked Doug to take the site down??????
    Last edited by gwizpro; 01-18-2011 at 04:35 PM.
    Custom Built Quilt Hangers and Quilt Racks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    To protect his work. As far as I know we all gave him permission to use our patterns for the CD! (He asked first!)

Ike
    To clear this up, it wasnt to protect my work. It was to honor original authors works.

Any of my work is free for all to use as long as any dirivative works also remain entirely free and moreover I specifically stated that all rights stay witht he original authors. It can not be sold in whole or part and solicitaion for donations would also be prohibited.
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 01-18-2011 at 05:01 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

Any chance you could just take out the files from the user(s) that complained? I think the folders were sorted by username so it wouldn't be much trouble? I'd hate to see so much work killed off so quickly. From looking at it last week, I'd thought you had quite a bit of time invested so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    Any chance you could just take out the files from the user(s) that complained? I think the folders were sorted by username so it wouldn't be much trouble? I'd hate to see so much work killed off so quickly. From looking at it last week, I'd thought you had quite a bit of time invested so far.
    Theoretically yes.... realistically I dont know. I dont want to be put in a place where members may stop sharing on the forum if they feel thier rights are not being fully protected.
    Doug Fletcher

Theoretically yes.... realistically I dont know. I dont want to be put in a place where members may stop sharing on the forum if they feel thier rights are not being fully protected.
    I sure hope this don't start a war: I talked to my lawyer yesterday, basically just to confirm what I've seen for the past 15 years working as a web developer, site manager, etc. When someone posts a file on a public forum with the slightest whiff of inferrence that it's being shared in any way, they just signed their rights away. Case in point: the ebay CD. People said they complained, and ebay has a top-notch investigations department. Yet the CD lives. I just say this to let you know that I doubt there would be 'legal' trouble, but it would still be a storm.

I'm still on the fence about how to handle it myself. I came into the website database idea fully expecting that it would be a party and everyone would be grateful to have their shared works further distributed to basically everyone else in this particular forum. Turns out that ain't the case with a few folks, and even though they are absolutely wrong from a legal standpoint and someone can do whatever the heck they want with the shared files, it would still be bad juju. I'll most likely have to work doubly hard, just like you will if you keep the CD idea alive, to keep the peace and avoid mud slinging.

It's a real shame. Had that ebay CD not been discovered, people most likely wouldn't be so touchy. It would be just grand if we all forgot about one single bad incident and went about our merry time here continuing to share and help in the manner that I've come to be used to seeing.

This is the whole reason why we made the PatternDepot with the licensing feature. It is to protect pattern vendors original work from being freely distributed. It offers them (and us) payment for the use of their creations. If you have patterns that you want licensed and protected, we can sign you up as a Pattern Vendor, or like others have done, you can set up your own online store and sell them yourselves. If you post it in a pattern sharing site, then it's out there.

Whether it's a pattern, project or video on a free or sharing site like ours in the forum, you basically have made it free to the public. That pretty much means any one can do anything they want with it. It might not be morally right...like the guy selling Michael T's YoYo project for an outrageous amount of money, but I don't think it is illegal.

This is not a new discussion. One very similar started in early 2007 and again in 2009 (guess we're on a two year cycle with this topic). I imagine it will end the same way and hope we don't lose any forum members over it.

This forum is about helping each other, making new friends, patting each other on the back and building one another up while we learn & enjoy this machine. Doug did a great thing that I am sure many people will appreciate, just as Jonny is doing a great thing. Which ever format you chose to use, PatternSharing Thread, Doug's CD or Jack's website, it doesn't matter. If one of them decides to sell or profit from it, which I hope they don't, you have the right to not purchase it!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    like the guy selling Michael T's YoYo project for an outrageous amount of money, but I don't think it is illegal
    Have to disagree.... I think the person that is selling Michaels project is legally wrong if Michael never put it out there for free and if he has not authorized the use? Surprised to hear a statement like that from LHR.

Quote Originally Posted by PCW View Post
    Have to disagree.... I think the person that is selling Michaels project is legally wrong if Michael never put it out there for free and if he has not authorized the use? Surprised to hear a statement like that from LHR.
    Some of Michael's projects were packaged by us and put out there through Amazon, Lowes, maybe Woodcraft. Michael gets paid for them. So long as they've never been registered and he is selling what he says he is selling, it is not illegal. This is just like you buying a painting for x amount and then reselling it for x times 100 or 1000. If someone is willing to pay that, then you made money.

This is also assuming the guy bought them legitimately and didn't steal them.
    Last edited by lynnfrwd; 01-18-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast