Thread: Carving Depth

Default Carving Depth

I am having trouble with the carving depth side away from the keypad, If I put a 14 inch board in, some of the carvings (letters and objects) are almost like the are barely carving at all. Leveled the head twice 73 to 85 head pressure.
    But when I do the z sensor test Keypad side it reads 1.946, middle 1.946, but far side away from keypad 1.976. Any ideas what could be causing the problems, I have ruined 2 cedar boards trying to figure this out.

Mav
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 001.jpg   Picture 003.jpg   Picture 002.jpg  

I have had that in the past....

So you leveled the head... I am betting you did it by measuring. That is normally good....

A Quick Check.... Place the board back in the machine and crank it down. Then have the bit touch the left and right side of the board and look at the Z Numbers on the LCD manually. I am betting they are off.....

And your problem...... The Screws on the underside of the machine going into your smooth corner posts are loose.... When you crank the head down, it picks up the smooth shaft....

Check it out.... I had the one to the right of the keypad come loose and it gave me a Roller Release condition....

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks Al When I did level it I checked it both times by the Z numbers and they are off 1.946 to 1.976. I am carving the xmas tree ornamants now. So when they are done I will check it again. I would think I had them at least tight one time or the other.
    And have you ever had the tracking sensor go bad or had a hole where the bit touches at the sensor? Just replaced mine from my parts machine. Was getting weird board measurements til I replaced the sensor and the hole where the bit touched giving me the e06-0313 code

Ok Tried to tighten the bottom screws on the posts and did the z test again still came back with the same readings. (the post screws seemed tight) I even loosen the keypad side did nothing to the readings. Any other guesses what it might be? Has me stumped big time. And like I said it only does it on the side away from the keypad, middle and keypad side readings are the same.

Mav

I would re level the head. The Cross connect shaft and gear are the key. The 90 degree gears are held together by a screw. Disconnect one side and level head.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks Al

Did what you said disconnected the cross bar and releveled the head and I am still getting the same readings!

Just thinking if i did a jog to touch and went over to the that seems high or close to it that should help as a work around?
    Did do a test carve on that side and it seems to come out alright. Just trying to think of anything else it might be.

Mav

Mav,

If you are still getting the same readings then you did not change the gear-mesh when you took the shaft loose.
    You will have to move it one tooth one way or the other until the readings are very close.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Thanks Guys

As soon as I read Doc's post The light bulb came on. Long day at work mind wasn't working clear enough.
    Thanks again guys got the reading pretty close to each other now.

Mav