Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glue up is killing me!

Default Glue up is killing me!

Hi All,

Quick question...when I glue up two or more boards together width-wise do I apply glue to both mating surfaces or just one? I am trying to get a thicker board by gluing some 3/4 inch boards together.

I tried my first one tonight and like a jack@ss I did it on my real project. If I could reach i would kick myself right in the butt for not testing on scrap first after all the time I have on this. I applied glue to both surfaces and when I went to clamp them they were sliding everywhere. I fought it as best as I could and ended up close enough that when it dries I THINK I can sand it even.

Basically I just squirted glue to cover the area on one board at a time, brushed it even to a thin layer with a chip brush, stuck them together, and attempted to clamp...

Any ideas or tips appreciated....

Thanks,
    Craig

Sounds like you did it the way I would have. As for the slipping if you have a couple of areas that will be removed you could drill it to accept a couple of dowels or biscuits, preferably on two opposite corners and use those to guide it back into place once the glue is applied. I've used biscuits to align glue ups that I've made for width and they work pretty good. But I definately know what you mean about it floating all over the place.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

I set my bar clamps on the work bench and do a test dry run, then re open the clamps with about a 1/2 gap, turn the boards so the edges are facing up add glue to each mating side, turn the board flat and press the joints together at the same time shift the boards 3/4" back and forth to spread the glue and clamp with 5/8 pressure, check the fit and tighten starting at the center.

Thanks guys, I was hoping I was doing something wrong but I guess I just need more practice at it. Thanks for the replies!!!

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by c6craig View Post
    Hi All,

Quick question...when I glue up two or more boards together width-wise do I apply glue to both mating surfaces or just one? I am trying to get a thicker board by gluing some 3/4 inch boards together.

I tried my first one tonight and like a jack@ss I did it on my real project. If I could reach i would kick myself right in the butt for not testing on scrap first after all the time I have on this. I applied glue to both surfaces and when I went to clamp them they were sliding everywhere. I fought it as best as I could and ended up close enough that when it dries I THINK I can sand it even.

Basically I just squirted glue to cover the area on one board at a time, brushed it even to a thin layer with a chip brush, stuck them together, and attempted to clamp...

Any ideas or tips appreciated....

Thanks,
    Craig
    You could make a clamping Jig. I use a sink cutout for the base. The glue does not stick to the plastic top or use news paper'
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    I set my bar clamps on the work bench and do a test dry run, then re open the clamps with about a 1/2 gap, turn the boards so the edges are facing up add glue to each mating side, turn the board flat and press the joints together at the same time shift the boards 3/4" back and forth to spread the glue and clamp with 5/8 pressure, check the fit and tighten starting at the center.
    Sliding the boards back and forth not only spreads the glue, but the glue will get tacky and stop sliding so much. You can also box in the sides with clamps to limit the ability to shift.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

George
    Life is short....drink the good wine first!

bjbethke

Great idea on the jigs for clamping. is that wax paper underneath to keep the board from sticking to the jig?

I am certain it is wax paper. I use wax paper to cover over my pipe clamps then the joint being covered on top of the wax paper. Keeps metal/black paint from being transfered onto the wood. Also when I inlay wood into wood I will put wax paper on top of the inlay work, wood block on top of wax paper, and clamp on top of that. Glue doesn't ahear with wax paper very well.

Quote Originally Posted by c6craig View Post
    Hi All,

.................................................. ...............
    Craig
    Are you edge gluing to get a wider board, or face gluing to get a thicker board?

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by alan.galbraith View Post
    bjbethke

Great idea on the jigs for clamping. is that wax paper underneath to keep the board from sticking to the jig?
    Wax paper works great, old news papers. I know a cabinet shop that gives me the sink cutouts for hulling them off. They work great; the glue will not stick to the plastic. (Sand it down from time to time to make the surface smooth)

Most cutouts are 22 x 31 inches, works great to make boards for the CW unit.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast