Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooden Gears?

Default Wooden Gears?

Hi Guys

Has anyone ever made wooden gears with the CW? I'm thinking it could be done with the DXF importer and something lime Mathias Wandell's Gear Generator application?

Would love to hear from people who have already done it? Can it be done without the expense of the DXF importer?

Cheers
    http://www.thewoodhaven.co.uk
    Home Of Woodworking in the UK

wizer,
    Yes you are on the right track. I did some work with a CAD program for another project, and it was doable, but the DXF importer will make things like this much easier. The biggest problem i ran into before DXF, is trying to get things to come out to scale. When processing it, and then importing into designer, it would loose the size. It was able to be overcome by drawing a square around your geometry and scaling it to bring it back, but it was somewhat of a pain.

The way i understand it the DXF importer will hold the scale, and give you the ability to cut out exact to a polyline that would be imported. This is a big shortcut to the way i did it a couple years ago. This should prove to be a very good piece of software!

Both CAD/CAM software packages that I use have a gear generator, and DXF export capability. All ready for the new software

Happy Carving!

Ron

Happy Carving,

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Thumbs up Gear template generator

A while ago I seen some one who was looking to make wood gears
    for making a clock and I ran into this Gear template generator
    (it's free) and this may help in making your gears.

Check it out here
    Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

This clock gear was made from a set of plans in DXF format.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dxf-1.jpg   dxf-2.jpg   dxf-3.jpg  

Smile gears

I made a couple of gears using Gear template generator. Go to woodgears.ca than go down to gear template generator. this is a neet site.Ineed to work more to get them wright need time.

hehe thanks for reccomending the gear generator by Mathais Wandell. Tho, I'm a bit worried about you guys, I mentioned this in my first post

petz29: When you say you made some, was that with the CarveWright? Or manually with a scroll saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Metallus View Post
    Thanks Metallus, so how did you get the DXF model into designer? Did you do it with the importer or some other method?
    http://www.thewoodhaven.co.uk
    Home Of Woodworking in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Metallus View Post
    Now that's impressive!

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

Quote Originally Posted by wizer View Post
    Thanks Metallus, so how did you get the DXF model into designer? Did you do it with the importer or some other method?
    The new DXF importer, of course. I've also cut smaller gears from our 1/4" cast acrylic with the 1/16" cutting bit. I have also made a wooden bicycle cassette with the STL importer.

Smile gears

I made the gears using the carvewright . I used snipit to copy the gears & moved them to carvewright.

I have never used it, but I recall seeing a Sketchup plugin to draw gears. Then you could export them as an STL and use the STL Importer or the DXF importer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast