Thread: New Machine and Flex Cable

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Machine and Flex Cable

Received Machine #2 today. I love the look, smell, and sound of brand new machines. Nice and lubed. Squeaky clean, everything moves smoothly, no sawdust.

However, it seems the Flex Cables are doomed from the start. Perhaps because of the way they are packed?

Look at the picture of the one that came with my machine. Notice the crease? This is where the cable was pressed against the hood while packed in the box.

I did a quick carve of the Wilderness clock back which consists of somewhere around a 30 minute cutout (no carving) in Oak. The shaft barely got warm, although the known wear areas got a bit warmer (right around the middle of the shaft).

I'll be doing the front tomorrow. This is about a 5 to 6 hour carve and this will be the 4th time I've attempted this. 1st: I opened the cover to vacuum and then got one of the dreaded 302/303 errors when it started up again ( I think that's the error code), 2nd: Power went out 1/2 way through. 3rd: Flex Shaft meltdown.

One of the first things I noticed about the new machine is that when I turn it on, it doesn't briefly dim the overhead light. My first machine does this and it is perplexing since I'm using a 20amp circuit and there is nothing else on it.

Anyway, is the creased Flexshaft something to worry about or is this normal for all new machines?

Kenny
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New-Machine-Flex-Cable01.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	47600
    Last edited by gapdev; 09-27-2011 at 09:41 PM.