Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit's burning the wood

Default Bit's burning the wood

I am still having problems with my bits burning my wood, and I don't mean just a little bit. Both the carving and vector bits. Anyone have any suggestions/ideas, or things I can check out. I will prob have to call LHR but wanted to see if I could check thinks out before calling.

Thanks
    Andrea

I am sure you have done this already, but you need to be sure there is no pitch stuck to the bit. I find that I have to clean mine after every carve or they will burn. It could also be a problem with bit speed, in which case LHR would need to walk you through testing the bit speed.

Good luck
    Jeff

Jeff Corder

Jeff, I do try to clean the bits after use, so maybe its going to lean towards the speed issue. Thanks
    Andrea

Default Burning

Just for the heck of it, what happens when you use a standard router on that same piece of wood? It could be the wood itself. Sharp & clean bits work best. Depth of cut, type of wood, and speed of travel, can all be possible heat sources as well.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Bud,

I'm using poplar or oak, this is what I normally use. When I use a reg router to carve its fine, but I use diff bits with that router.
    Last edited by andes; 11-27-2008 at 11:14 PM.
    Andrea

Mine does the same thing. When making a letter it goes along cutting and the motion stops with the moter still going. Thats ehen mines burns. Some have said too it could be cut motor sensor. I was cutting Oak.
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Lightbulb Clean Bit's

I'm a firm believer in keeping CW clean. Pitch has the potential to start fires, I'm sure many of you are familar with chimmney fires, especially pine users. I've tried allot of different methods to remove pitch from my bits. From WD40 to commericial products available at our friendly woodworking stores. I had a interesting conversation with my local Woodcraft Store Peddler. I inquired as to the expence of their off the shelf brand (about $12 for a 9 oz bottle), and he told me that the EPA had strick requirements regarding Hazzardous Materials, how they are to shipped and packaged, and that their pitch remover was nothing more than minerial spirits. Having already invested my $12 in the fantsy bottol of pitch remover I decided to stop by my local Lowes and purchase a quart of mineral spirts and perform my own a non-scientific evaluation. It smelled and tasted simular (just kidding about the tasteing), and performed just about the same as my fantsy bottol. So my conclusion is that the Lowes stuff is the same as the stuff in my fantsy bottol. Make sure you read the MSDS before using any chemicals. Also, I purchased a super fine diamond file to touch my bits after cleaning.
    GREG

Работа по поддержке мое хобби!

Default Great Bit & Blade cleaner

I wrote a lot about this in a thread some time ago. For the 30+ years I've been doing woodwork and home building, I've used Easy Off oven cleaner for my blades and bits.

Fast, clean, non toxic and for a can that lasts years it's about 3 bucks. Spary a little on, let it sit for about 2 minutes, brush with a toothbrush and the pitch (Even burnt on pitch) comes right off. Wipe with a rag and off you go. I'll never use anything else.....

When I run out, I just add it to my wifes shopping list. Just a little bonus..LOL
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Thanks, Chris. I sincerely appreciate the help.

That's an interesting solution to a common problem. I have a problem paying high prices for things that are really common, ordinary and reasonably priced ingredients that are labeled with some super name as a specialty that " solves" only one problem with a cost of a real specialty item.

I won't even start down that road..... I get a little hot under the collar about marketing tactics like that.

Thanks again. I hope to someday contribute as much as I take in information, tip, tricks and patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    I wrote a lot about this in a thread some time ago. For the 30+ years I've been doing woodwork and home building, I've used Easy Off oven cleaner for my blades and bits.

Fast, clean, non toxic and for a can that lasts years it's about 3 bucks. Spary a little on, let it sit for about 2 minutes, brush with a toothbrush and the pitch (Even burnt on pitch) comes right off. Wipe with a rag and off you go. I'll never use anything else.....

When I run out, I just add it to my wifes shopping list. Just a little bonus..LOL
    Burgie, A new, proud owner

Quote Originally Posted by nikki1492 View Post
    Thanks, Chris. I sincerely appreciate the help.

That's an interesting solution to a common problem. I have a problem paying high prices for things that are really common, ordinary and reasonably priced ingredients that are labeled with some super name as a specialty that " solves" only one problem with a cost of a real specialty item.

I won't even start down that road..... I get a little hot under the collar about marketing tactics like that.

Thanks again. I hope to someday contribute as much as I take in information, tip, tricks and patterns.
    My pleasure sir...

Just show us some of the fun carvings you'll do. That will be contribution enough for now...
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast