Thread: first run with 1.131

Default first run with 1.131

I usually help and not post...but..here goes...this is my first carve with the new version and I had a heck of a time doing the design itself....I seem to be getting some weird abnomilities...so I am going to post this for anyone who can help...the way the file is right now...it is not deep enough...but..I can't get it to go deeper without losing detail...especially on the fonts...the Wolfville Nova Scotia lettering tends to follow the recessed carved rectangle..which is really strange...and the detail of the whole carve came out as if it was in draft mode and everything was set to "best"...so by all means play with it and see if you can help me out...I know that its small....
    Bob
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Bob
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
    aka-DrBob
    Laptop Running Version 1.131

Default Text

Bob,

You had that text set differently for both depth and height, I did not see any problem after changing that - maybe I missed something.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    I usually help and not post...but..here goes...this is my first carve with the new version and I had a heck of a time doing the design itself....I seem to be getting some weird abnomilities...so I am going to post this for anyone who can help...the way the file is right now...it is not deep enough...but..I can't get it to go deeper without losing detail...especially on the fonts...the Wolfville Nova Scotia lettering tends to follow the recessed carved rectangle..which is really strange...and the detail of the whole carve came out as if it was in draft mode and everything was set to "best"...so by all means play with it and see if you can help me out...I know that its small....
    Bob
    Hello Bob,

I believe the root problem is that the design layout is simply too small for the machine to be able to carve it very well. Your design layout is beautiful, but it's likely pushing the practical limits of the machine too far.

For sure, the fancy lettering is w-a-y too small to work well. A font like that is difficult to make look really good without the use of centerline (unless the fonts were considerably larger)

Your design has the lettering only about 3/8" tall, plus carved as raised rasters - that's just not going to work as you have already discovered. Even WITH centerline, that particular font style probably needs to have the lettering at least 3/4" tall to approach being able to look its best.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the 1.131 version of Designer has nothing to do with the issue, of course.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 11-15-2008 at 07:57 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Angry Tough Text

Bob,

I'm no expert by any means. I use Chancey alot, but mostly w/ centerline. Even then I have to make it a bit larger to get it clear.
    I widened the Pattern a bit. Seperated the married from the date and the wolfville.(made them seperate text) Added space to the text to give the lettering some clearity. Couldn't get the date (200 nor the (Nova Scotia) to clear very well. Think it's due to it being so compacted. Is there a abrv for Nova Scotia?

Looks a bit less Drafted, but needs a bit of work. I do like the lay out, very pretty. A bit larger (size wise) might help w/ the lettering. Sorry I couldn't be of more help Sir.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wolfville 1.jpg  
    Bernie :^)

Wisdom has no value unless it's shared.
    Ver. 177 in Test mode Ver.134 in reserve

Well here's my version. ;_}
    Andrea

Hello Bob,

Just thought of another possibility. You may want to get in touch with rjustice. He makes bit adaptors for the machine that will allow you to experiment with small, Dremel bits.

It may be possible to coax the machine to yield a good result for projects that are normally "impossible" to do with the stock bits. I'm sorry that I don't have any experience with Ron's adapters for the Dremel bits, but maybe he can give you some guidance and tips that will do the trick for you!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Good Morning everyone!
    Thanks for the responses, I will have to agree the design is a little small so I guess I will have to increase the size to make it a bit bigger even though it is a ring box for just two rings.
    It has been a while since I have carved, but I thought I was able to carve this small in earlier versions just can't remember, plus the detail on my screen is about 10 times better than the carve itself.
    Bob
    Bob
    aka-DrBob

Here is a pattern file if anyone can use it.
    Bob
    Bob
    aka-DrBob