Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: To 3D or not to 3D!

glad to have you back Ike
    steve

Latest update, "That's all folks! It was fun while it lasted, Corel said, for personal use only. I did ask permission, but not holding my breath. I don't even know about the images I find on the web.

There are plenty of sites with copyright free clipart for a fee. Not sure if I will join any of them, there are so many scams out there I don't know if they can be trusted.

Thanks again!

Ike

I can't see it,if you make a pattern from an image off the net and post it as a Free-b how is that breaking copyright law.
    Mike

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by FINGERS View Post
    I can't see it,if you make a pattern from an image off the net and post it as a Free-b how is that breaking copyright law.
    Mike
    Mike, I don't know? I wish it was never brought up, all I was trying to do was help others with half way decent patterns. If they needed true 3D we have several great sources.

I tried drawing and making a pattern, but that takes a long time to do. I e-mailed Corel one more time to clarify my question. If I don't get permission, then I can only make patterns for myself

Ike
    Last edited by Ike; 01-06-2009 at 10:50 PM.

Ike

I could be wrong, but clip art images that YOU buy, you own to do with what you want. Until, that is, you try to profit from those images.

Images in the Public Domain (i.e., those you find on the internet) are free to use as well, until you try to profit from them.

So, I think you can make patterns and attach them here - you won't get in the soup, 'cause you aren't selling them - you're sharing them with your closest friends . However, if I take the pattern and put it on a sign and sell the sign, I'm the one in the soup.

The fact is, in my never-to-be humble opinion, I'm a real small fish in a real big pond - the copyright guys don't want me, they want the guy that's making big bucks.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

And besides Ike, if they come after you and put you in prison, we will all petition the warden to put you in the woodshop, get you a CW and ask that they let you can connect to the internet so you can still make up patterns! Now how much closer friends can you get than that?

Seriously Ike, I am so sorry you lost the patterns, you are a great source for all of us here. I am sure I have some of your patterns that you have offered to all of us, just let me know if you need something and I will certainly see if I have it.

Good luck and thanks for all you do for the members of this forum
    Jeff

Jeff Corder

Well, this has been hashed out here a few times in the past, so don't feel bad, Ike. It's definitely not the first time it has come up...

As far as using Corel clip art to make patterns and then put them on the forum here, I think that may be stretching their terms of use... From what I can tell, if you legitimately purchase Corel software, you are licensed to use their clip art for your OWN use. To make patterns of all their clip art and give it away is pretty much the same thing as just giving away their clip art. So if it were okay to do that, it would then be okay for me to make a copy of their entire clip art disk and give it to all my friends to use (and it's not)... just like it would not be right for me to GIVE away a slightly modified pattern from VectorArt or anyone else.

The reason it's not okay to do that is that they have NOT paid money to Corel Corp. and therefore do not have the right to use the clip art.... so technically, if someone else owns Coreldraw, and you use the clip art to make them a pattern, you'd be within the terms of use, since they have the right to use it.

The good news, Ike, is you personally don't really have to worry about it. Corel Corp is NOT going to come after you for posting free patterns. LHR is the ones that will have to deal with it, if it were an issue with Corel Corp. Even though no one is paying for the patterns, they have quite a bit of value to LHR because this forum is good advertisement for them. The free patterns draw people to the site and generate traffic. So they are profiting (indirectly) from clip art that their users do not have the 'right' to use....

So if LHR management has not posted a caution about it, I wouldn't sweat it. It's probably not a big deal... at some point they will probably have to post some exact rules about what is allowed or not allowed in the forums as far as copyrighted clipart.

Until then, keep practicing, sharing, carving and having fun......
    Free Tutorials, Patterns & Projects at www.ALLCW.com

Jon is correct. What everyone is referring to under the charging bit is referred to as derivative.

To be copyrightable, a derivative work must be different enough from the original to be regarded as a "new work" or must contain a substantial amount of new material, this also includes taking copyrighted work and just giving it away.

The question that the many many members around the world are still trying to gather is, What is the level or percentage of DIFFERENT ENOUGH. Some in the commercial industry will tell you about 30%.

I dont have a problem with what Ike is doing and I know others dont also including the supposed one that started it, all he was trying to do was assist or help Ike with certain images and had a question about who owned it before he started the work and it was just taken the wrong way is all.

All I can add is if someone ask and you feel like helping them without cost do so if that is your pleasure. If you dont like the patterns just like television dont use it, it is really that simple.

But to be on the fair side about some comments about those that sell patterns

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    I tried drawing and making a pattern, but that takes a long time to do.
    Ike
    That is why they get paid to do them.
    Last edited by badger; 01-06-2009 at 02:50 PM.
    I'm a professional toothpick maker.
    TK Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Mike, I don't know? I wish it was never brought up, all I was trying to do was help others with half way decent patterns. If they needed true 3D we several great sources.

I tried drawing and making a pattern, but that takes a long time to do. I e-mailed Corel one more time to clarify my question. If I don't get permission, then I can only make patterns for myself

Ike
    Ok, so I came in on tge tail end of all of this, let me see if I understand. The issue is that Corel is saying that you can not make patterns using the corel software, unless you are making it for yourself? Or are they saying that you can not use the images/clipart that you get from the web, to produce patterns?

To be honest, if you purchased the software, I don't really see how they can say how you use the software, unless there is something included in the sw license that states that you can not use the software or the clipart for commercial means. Maybe I'm not fully understanding what the issue is. However, I do understand that alot of the images/clipart on the web is copywrite protected and that you have to to get premission from the owner to use their art.
    Last edited by andes; 01-06-2009 at 10:06 PM.
    Andrea

Andrea, I was specifically talking about the 'clip art' that comes with the program, if you buy the full version. You are welcome to use that artwork in your own designs, but it would not be legal to simply make a copy of that clip art disk and pass it out to your friends, even if you did it free of charge.

As far as the design programs (Coreldraw, Photopaint, etc.)... you definitely have full rights to whatever you create from scratch.... so no, Corel has no say in what you create with their software.
    Last edited by Jon Jantz; 01-06-2009 at 10:38 PM.
    Free Tutorials, Patterns & Projects at www.ALLCW.com

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast