Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Version 1.130 CAUTION Will Start FIRES!!!

Angry Version 1.130 CAUTION Will Start FIRES!!!

Well...I uploaded the latest version of Designer and went to make a sign that had a 1/2" deep cutout on the back side (a 2"x3" area using the 1/2" straight bit) and...caught my machine on FIRE!! The new version made the 1st pass 3/8" deep, way to much at one time with that size bit. The dust got so hot that is started a fire. Luckily I was still in the shop when it started. I just happened to turn around and see the flames. I opened the lid and blew the flames out then grabbed the air hose and blew all the dust out of it. It charred my project a little but it looks like the machine is okay. Bit was not dull and had no pitch on it. I have done this procedure many, many times before with no problems.

Another problem I am having is when it starts a project, it starts the bit turning and just sits there until it reaches 20% done on the display then it starts carving. When it finally starts to carve it makes 1 pass then sits approx. 1/2 second then makes another pass. It is taking forever to get my sign complete.

Default Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Really scary, anyone else have this problem?

3. Default

Im really not sure what your problem may be.. Are you maybe jumping to a conclusion that it was the 1.130 version? Was it the dust that caught on fire or the actual wood for the project? Also are you using a downdraft system or any type of dust collection? Just a couple thoughts from my personal opinion.
    First i have ever heard of a machine fire. Good thing you were close by. I always make it a point to monitor my machine when its carving.
    www.twinpeaksenterprisesllc.com

"Premium, Kiln Dried, Dimensioned to your request, Black Cherry, Black Walnut, Poplar, woods limited quanities"

Pictures would have been GOOD.... After the fact.....

Hey, Fireman Phil, Did you see my new Epoxie Domed Reflective Fire Accountability Tags?....

AL

A few days ago, I was carving a half-inch rabbet in some cedar using a half inch straight bit, and got some burning with a bit of smoke produced.... kinda wondered if it might replace the old boy scout method for starting a fire.....

Seriously, this is a concern. Many great things came with the 1.130 release, but in the case of the cutouts, and large rabbets, I would prefer the previously mentioned idea of a "drop down option box" to give us the choice (one pass, or multiple).

and if that could be done, maybe a priority cut listing. Sometimes I would prefer a certain cut to occur before other cuts, and a way to "force" this would be nice.

but enough ramblings.. what do you think??
    ver 1.162
    -If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is jammed, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
    -If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape it. If it doesn't move and it should, Boeshield T-9

Default Some burn marks on maple

This keeps happening to me since I went with 1.130. Nothing ON FIRE mind you which I'm thinking is a good thing, huh? *G* Downdraft system keeps the sawdust to a minimum don'tya know. I am a little concerned about the possibility of having a really hot speck of wood go into the dust collector and having a problem there. Not sure what the odds are of that happening tho. The 1.130 does make the bits dive way deep into the wood on a cutout compared to 1.126 tho. Makes me nervous! See attached jpg for details. Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails burn marks.jpg  

Yes I'm getting a lot of wood burning with cutouts in the intrcate areas where the bit has to slow down to go around small curves. Larger curves or straight lines it goes fast enough to prevent the burning. This takes a lot of cleanup afterwards which isn't good.

I think I plan on having 2 cards, 1 with the 1.13 carving then load just the cutpath on a 1.126 card. The 1.13 carving on best is great, nice and smooth and requires very little sanding....cutpaths on the other hand, although accurate burn the wood.
    Ver 1.150
    Kevin

"Carving has it ups & downs"

8. Default

Wow i think i will wait on the upgrade then. Im using 1.126. Got to remember it is summertime. And things are alot hotter. such as my machine get hotter faster..of course. I get burns sometime but in the centerline. Maybe they tried to speed up carving times in 1.130 with ill results. Who knows. Oh and hey good point about the downdraft system. Ya i wouldnt want a hot piece to drop off in the collector. wow! Ill keep a close eye on my machine..
    www.twinpeaksenterprisesllc.com

"Premium, Kiln Dried, Dimensioned to your request, Black Cherry, Black Walnut, Poplar, woods limited quanities"

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    I am a little concerned about the possibility of having a really hot speck of wood go into the dust collector and having a problem there. Not sure what the odds are of that happening tho.
    The odds are slim that you can get a fire started in a DC bag but they aren't nil. It happened to me a couple of years ago doing a lot of dado work on the router table.

Question Does anyone know......

what Carvewright is doing about it?
    Using 1.178

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast