Thread: Evaporative Cooling

Default Evaporative Cooling

A little off topic perhaps, but very important to me...............

I live in the Houston area and have to work out of my detached garage. I have the garage set up in an "acceptable" manner so that when I move the boss's car, I can work. However, it is sooooooooo hot in there I can hardly stand to use my machine, I added a power exhaust fan last summer, but it's not enough. I'm wondering if any of you have tried evaporative cooling in your garages? I not sure how effective they would be in Houston with the high humidity and dew points during the summer.

Or, has anyone added acceptable air conditioning? I know it's not the most economical, but for a day or two use a week perhaps I could do it.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Try window air conditioner. It work better.
    HT

dwbox,

I've been to Houston,TX many times. It is indeed a very humid area in the summer.

Evaporators work by adding water to the air. That's not good in a wood shop as your tools will start rusting in a hurry.

An air conditioner would be much better as it removes moisture from the air. You can usually find a cheap one in the classifieds of you local newspaper or type in your location at www.craigslist.com.
    Mel

Patterns for sale at CW's Pattern Depot
    Check out "Yankee Pop's Shop" at
    http://www.carvewright.com/store/pat...nkeepop&page=1

I tried one while living in Grand Prairie, TX. It is a subburb of Dallas and not as humid as the Houston area. While it was dry outside for a month or two, it was fine, but then it started raining several times a week and there was mold growing on the ceilings and other odd spots. It did cool nicely unless it rained. I removed it and shifted to a regular 3 ton window unit and spent some time cleaning up the mold problem.

I would not recommend using it anywhere east of San Antonio...the dryer the climate the better. El Paso has thousands of them.
    Greg Luckett
    Great Lakes Wood Arts Co.
    Saint Joseph, MI

I use a exhaust fan in my rafters to suck out the hot air in my 24x24 shop and a 12000 btu ac to cool and it stays nice and cool in there.

Does the AC unit run constantly when the exhaust fan is moving out the hot air? I might try it, but it is so rarely really hot here in SW Michigan that it is probably not worth the effort for me.
    Greg Luckett
    Great Lakes Wood Arts Co.
    Saint Joseph, MI

Good input all. I think I'll shop for a window unit. Of course, that means I have to add a window.

If I am going to work in my shop I'll turn on the exhaust fan on in the morning to move the air out and if I have to I'll turn on the ac to cool, all 4 walls in my Work Shop/Garage have 3/4" foilface fome that helps to keep it cool in the summer and warm in the winter and the the exaust fan is grate when I spray it move the spray mist out.

Why a window I cut a hole in the back wall for the ac unit 4 or 5 feet below the exhaust fan, I think for it to work good you both ac and exhaust, with the exhaust fan the ac doesn't work as hard or long to cool.

Default Heat Pump

In my shop I use a thru the wall heat pump. It maintains a perfect temperature (I like it at 70 degrees) summer and winter. It also keeps the moisture out of the air.
    Now, I run mine 24/7/365 and it has raised my power bill about $25.00 a month, so I figure it is well worth it for my comfort.

I bought from here... Air Conditioners

Hope this helps
    A person has to know their limitations, I know I have none..