Thread: LithoPane Price

Default LithoPane Price

I have done a few litho panes and they are starting to get noticed to the point where I have people asking how much do I charge for them.

So the question is how much is a fair price? What are your thoughts about this? Do you charge by the square inch? Any Ideas will help

Just for myself, I charge for material (usually per board foot but in the case of lithos probably per sq inch), design time and carving time.
    Ver 1.150
    Kevin

"Carving has it ups & downs"

Hello,

The word "lithopane" is not correct - it is spelled lithophane.

I have misspelled it myself many times because I originally thought of it as a "pane" of glass, so I was mispronouncing it as well.

The word is lithophane with an "F" sound. - finally realized my mistake and am trying to wean myself off the misnomer! Just thought you would want to know.

From Webster's Dictionary...

lith·o·phane
    Pronunciation: li-thə-ˌfān
    Function:noun Etymology probably from German Lithophan, from Greek lithos + German diaphan diaphanousDate:circa 1889
    Definition: porcelain impressed with figures that are made distinct by transmitted light; also : an object of this material
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hello,

The word "lithopane" is not correct - it is spelled lithophane.

I have misspelled it myself many times because I originally thought of it as a "pane" of glass, so I was mispronouncing it as well.

The word is lithophane with an "F" sound. - finally realized my mistake and am trying to wean myself off the misnomer! Just thought you would want to know.

From Webster's Dictionary...

lith·o·phane
    Pronunciation: li-thə-ˌfān
    Function:noun Etymology probably from German Lithophan, from Greek lithos + German diaphan diaphanousDate:circa 1889
    Definition: porcelain impressed with figures that are made distinct by transmitted light; also : an object of this material

Thanks English is my second language so I do have lots of spelling and grammatical errors

Quote Originally Posted by bdehoyos View Post
    Thanks English is my second language so I do have lots of spelling and grammatical errors
    Hello bdehoyos,

It's not just that... Most of us have been calling lithophanes "lithopanes" by mistake for quite awhile now. Just thought it might be handy to alert everyone to the correction since I just learned it myself not too long ago!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

We learn something every day the hard part if not to forget it latter on

Just North of the South Side, Western Edge of the Eastern Slope, Denver.

Actually I think that is going both ways, its an either/or type word.

Not that I am sharpening an ax, or even an axe, but I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by bdehoyos View Post
    I have done a few litho panes and they are starting to get noticed to the point where I have people asking how much do I charge for them.

So the question is how much is a fair price? What are your thoughts about this? Do you charge by the square inch? Any Ideas will help
    I Charge $50-60 for a 12x12, depending how much I have to play with the photo. That is for just the carving and the Corian, no shadow box. I have sold several of these and have many more orders already for Christmas.

-Phil

Does that price include the corian?

I have seen on the web prices of $120 for a 4 x 4 with a shadow box

I have worked out that a 5 x 6 corian with a mahogany light box will run about $100. I just need to get my machine fixed so I can actually carve it.
    Ver 1.150
    Kevin

"Carving has it ups & downs"