Thread: Image/Carve Help

Default Image/Carve Help

Hello all,
    Wondering if anyone could tell me how the attached mpc would carve. I'm finally getting around to importing some images/drawings into designer, but I just don't seem to have an eye for what works and what doesn't. The image was a jpg (I know not the best), but I'm hoping to make it work. I'm thinking of doing some family crests for some relatives. I'm wondering how a "high quality" jpg would work. I can obtain these images from different sources, but at a cost and before I go spending the $$$ I wanted to get everyone's opinion. Many of the "low quality" are available for free. If it isn't going to make any difference then I don't see a need to spend the cash. Thoughts/suggestions anyone?

Thanks Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cheers!
    Dave

Vsn: 1.131

Default Mpc

It looks like it should carve OK, you have depth set at .09, between 1/6th (.06) and 1/8th (.125) inch. I normally carve deeper than that. Not sure how you will use this. PTN looks OK.

It looks like it was a vector drawing saved as a JPEG. If you can down load in PNG or GIF files you would not get the white background. JPEG and BMP files add a background when downloaded, not a real problem.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

I wasn't exactly sure what to set the depth at. When I was playing around it looked like anything deeper than that wouldn't work. At least this is a starting point. I'll give this a shot and then maybe run it a couple more times deeper. Like I said...I still haven't gotten the "eye" for this yet.

Thanks for the help!
    Cheers!
    Dave

Vsn: 1.131

Default OKCarver

I changed your MPC the way I would carve this PTN. I added a carve region to show the whole shield, and set the depth at (.025) on the PTN and the carve region. You have the height at 100, which is OK. If you want to bring your carving back to the surface of the board, then set the height to 999.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s mpc11.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Dave

personal opinion...I would not spend the money on the images. I would invest in 3d model programs...blender or wings 3d are both free.

John