Thread: Gear shift knob?

Default Gear shift knob?

I have a need for a new gear shift knob and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions beyond the standard inverted pear style.

This is for a 4 speed, floor shift transmission in a custom 'parade' car so style is important.

I'm thinking a 'T' handle with flared ends but if anyone has any suggestions feel free to contribute.

2. Default

What kind of car is it for? I made a "T" shaped one in the past (way before the compucarve) that had "CHEVROLET" engraved in the top of it. Depending on the car, you could make something like an 8 ball shifter, a T shifter with custom engraving, a skull, a piston, or maybe a Hurst/B&M look alike.

Jason

Default It's a custom job

It has a threaded rod coming up through the floor and I have the right size nut for it.

I want something besides a bare rod to grab and don't want it to be a common knob.

How about taking a roundnose bit ,same size as threaded rod, making a groove in two pieces of wood to form around the threaded rod? Add a nice handle on top and your almost ready to go 330 mph in the quarter. Sounds like a neat project, keep us informed.

later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

I rendered out a pistol-grip quarter stick shifter as a design test.

http://www.liquidguitars.com/saltdot/KnobR002.mpc

LG

6. Default

WOW!
    LG,
    I wasn't thinking about making a shifter grip until I looked at your MPC. Yet another carve on my must do soon list! Good job!

Jason

drautox Guest

Default custom shift knobs

I have been making wood and Corian shift knobs that you may be interested in. I actually found the carveright forum while looking for material sources. My website is under my profile, or if you like I can post a link.

Regards