Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Gears

Default Cutting Gears

I have need of several wooden gears for a project I'm making. The thicknesses are 0.5 inch, 0.25 inch and 0.125 inch. I'd like to design them in TurboCAD, save them as .png files and transfer them into Designer for cutting.

I think I'm OK with the file part of it but the cutting has me a little confused. I can use "Cut path" for the 0.50 inch gear but I'm not sure of the best way to cut the 0.25 and 0.125 inch gears. Is it better to use a carve region of depth 0.25 and 0.375 inch and rely on the automatic tabs or is it better to glue 0.25 inch stock to a carrier and cut all the way through?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by KevinO View Post
    I have need of several wooden gears for a project I'm making. The thicknesses are 0.5 inch, 0.25 inch and 0.125 inch. I'd like to design them in TurboCAD, save them as .png files and transfer them into Designer for cutting.

I think I'm OK with the file part of it but the cutting has me a little confused. I can use "Cut path" for the 0.50 inch gear but I'm not sure of the best way to cut the 0.25 and 0.125 inch gears. Is it better to use a carve region of depth 0.25 and 0.375 inch and rely on the automatic tabs or is it better to glue 0.25 inch stock to a carrier and cut all the way through?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kevin
    I've been trying to figure the exact same thing out Not a gear though) today and finally took a break i was getting myself confused. on the .25 gear for example if you used a .25 carve region it will carve that out .25 but when you add gear it puts it on top witch brings it back to top surface and would leave .25 behind it if you where on a 1/2 board that would be .5 gear. The only why i could think of was set the depth to go all way through (.50) then to get the gear to be .25 you have to lower the height down until it get to .25 cause 100% height would give you a .50 gear. I'm sure there is a better way i just can't figure it out ether. Hope fully someone wil come to the rescue sorry i can't be more help

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

I would do the thinner gears on piece of 1/2" plywood. I would use double back tape to hold gears in place while cutting.
    Mel

Patterns for sale at CW's Pattern Depot
    Check out "Yankee Pop's Shop" at
    http://www.carvewright.com/store/pat...nkeepop&page=1

Default Thinner pieces from thicker wood

Quote Originally Posted by eromran View Post
    I've been trying to figure the exact same thing out Not a gear though) today and finally took a break i was getting myself confused. on the .25 gear for example if you used a .25 carve region it will carve that out .25 but when you add gear it puts it on top witch brings it back to top surface and would leave .25 behind it if you where on a 1/2 board that would be .5 gear. The only why i could think of was set the depth to go all way through (.50) then to get the gear to be .25 you have to lower the height down until it get to .25 cause 100% height would give you a .50 gear. I'm sure there is a better way i just can't figure it out ether. Hope fully someone wil come to the rescue sorry i can't be more help
    Hi Ed,

This is a coaster project that Jerry (Eagle Hollow) and I had a lot of fun with. I "think" it will demonstrate how you can set a pattern down into the wood in carved regions, making it thinner than the original board thickness.

I attached the MPC as well so you can refer to the settings used.

KevinO,
    This may work for you as well. Although starting with the .25 and .125 thickness material and attaching them to a carrier board would work as well. Almost like Hotpop said, if you use .25 and .125 material, attach it with double sided tape to the carrier and use just a "Path" not "cut path" and the 1/8" cut bit set to .25 and .125 respectively.

Hope that helps guys.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coaster.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hotpop View Post
    I would do the thinner gears on piece of 1/2" plywood. I would use double back tape to hold gears in place while cutting.
    I second this motion, this is how I would try to do it.
    If it doesn't fit force it. If it breaks then it needed replacing anyway.

Have a Craftsman Carver and Running Ver. 1.150

Posting pictures tutorial http://www.malanoski.com/downloads/posting_pictures.pdf.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    Hi Ed,

This is a coaster project that Jerry (Eagle Hollow) and I had a lot of fun with. I "think" it will demonstrate how you can set a pattern down into the wood in carved regions, making it thinner than the original board thickness.

I attached the MPC as well so you can refer to the settings used.

KevinO,
    This may work for you as well. Although starting with the .25 and .125 thickness material and attaching them to a carrier board would work as well. Almost like Hotpop said, if you use .25 and .125 material, attach it with double sided tape to the carrier and use just a "Path" not "cut path" and the 1/8" cut bit set to .25 and .125 respectively.

Hope that helps guys.

Chris
    Chris,
    thanks but i understand setting something down just lower the depth. The part giving me trouble is if you have a know thickness of a part let say .35 and your board is .50 (of an inch) you have to lower the part to the bottom and work up until it is .35 thick is there a different way other than what i tried to explain? OK in short how would you take your rosette which i don't know how thick it is and make it cut out to .35 thick (total thickness not raised above carve region because then you would still have thickness of carved region also) One more thing if the answer is you have to figure out the % of the depth and how that relates to the height and do all that you don't have to go into detail i have that figured out i was wondering was there an easier an more accurate way. Thanks again i know it take a lot of time replying to some of these post that are second nature for some. It is appreciated though.

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to use "Cut Path" for the 0.5 inch gear, and I will use a carrier for the 0.25 and 0.125 inch gears. I think the actual cutting time will be a lot less for the thinner gears using this method. I haven't used double-sided tape yet. Any recommendations on the brand? Is plain old double-sided Scotch tape good enough or should I look for a stronger tape? I'd hate for it to let go in the middle of the cut!
    By the way, this forum is great. It seems that no matter what the question, someone has "been there, done that"!
    I'll post a few pictures when I finish the gears.

Kevin

1) Wouldn't the easiest way to be to make the gear pattern then simply use "outline pattern" to get the path.
    2) Apply a carve region to that path to get the tickness of the gear you want.
    3) So for example you have 1/2" wood stock and want a 1/4" thick gear you set the carve region depth to .25.
    4) Copy the path then paste, remove carve region from second and use cut path.

This method you could get any size gear you want by using the same stock wood. Only thing is it may mean a lot of carving depth depending on how thick of wood stock you start with.

This of course is if you are simply looking for a flat faced gear. If the gear face is other than flat then it gets a bit more complicated. It also has the advantage of leaving tabs in the cut path depending on how thin you get.

As for double-sided tape I use carpenter's tape, less sturdy tape may work as well.
    Last edited by Amonaug; 04-30-2008 at 01:01 PM.
    Ver 1.150
    Kevin

"Carving has it ups & downs"

Default Double-sided tape

Kevin,

It seems that nobody addressed your question! The thin double-stick tape is not adequate to hold the cutout piece. There are several other sources, some use the double-stick carpet tape.

I had some from my construction-trade years, but also bought some that was made in England recently that was a lot thinner.

Good luck with your project.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DocWheeler View Post
    Kevin,

It seems that nobody addressed your question! The thin double-stick tape is not adequate to hold the cutout piece. There are several other sources, some use the double-stick carpet tape.

I had some from my construction-trade years, but also bought some that was made in England recently that was a lot thinner.

Good luck with your project.
    One other tape I found is used to hold insulation in place on metal framed buildings. It's about two inches wide. Unroll amount wanted, apply and remove top paper..it really holds but is around 22 bucks a roll that is at least 25 yards long.

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast