Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting Gears

Thanks again. I'm off to try and find double-sided carpet tape.
    Amonaug, you're right, I could just use carve regions for the gears which is the simplest way to do it. The only reason I would consider using a carrier is that I think it would cut the carve time way down since it basically just has to cut out the shape, whereas the carve region would require a lot more cutting. Maybe I'm trying to over-engineer it, the carve region approach may be less time-consuming in the long run.

Kevin

Cool Using The Coordinates

Quote Originally Posted by eromran View Post
    Chris,
    thanks but i understand setting something down just lower the depth. The part giving me trouble is if you have a know thickness of a part let say .35 and your board is .50 (of an inch) you have to lower the part to the bottom and work up until it is .35 thick is there a different way other than what i tried to explain? OK in short how would you take your rosette which i don't know how thick it is and make it cut out to .35 thick (total thickness not raised above carve region because then you would still have thickness of carved region also) One more thing if the answer is you have to figure out the % of the depth and how that relates to the height and do all that you don't have to go into detail i have that figured out i was wondering was there an easier an more accurate way. Thanks again i know it take a lot of time replying to some of these post that are second nature for some. It is appreciated though.
    Ed, Sorry for the delay in replying. got busy today helping a friend layout some stairs.

Actually there is an easy way. When you pass your mouse cursor over the board it reads the coordinates in the lower left corner. The last number is the height number. It will read 0 (zero) on the uncut surface of the board. If you have a .25 deep region it will read .25.

So if you're working with say a 3/4" board, that would mean the "top" of the .25 deep region is 1/2" from the bottom of the wood. .75 - .25 = .5

So for KevinO's gears. If he was using 3/4" stock and wanted a 1/4 thick gear, he'd just set the top of the gear so it reads .5 and wala, it will be a 1/4" thick from the bottom.

Hope I explained that well enough...lol. If not, let me know and I'll get another cup of coffee and try again..lol

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisAlb; 04-30-2008 at 05:56 PM.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Red face Gona Sneak this one...

Chris,

You just saved my naked butt. hehehehehe (ugly pic I know )the Boss has been asking for coasters since Christmas. I'm not savey enough to figure the depths of the regions so I just stay busy w/ other projects, but now.... And Mothers day is coming YEEHAAA.

I want to Carve these 3 to a board. And use a carrier. Do ya happen to know the approx carve time for one of these?

Thanks in advance,
    Bernie :^)

Wisdom has no value unless it's shared.
    Ver. 177 in Test mode Ver.134 in reserve

Default Carve time

Bernie,

I just put 3 of them on a board. Set to best it's 48:11 to carve them. They are set up like that to put a 3 -1/2" circle of plexiglas in them. Also, I used no carrier board for mine. Just a 14" long 1 x 6 pine.

Hope that helps.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Thumbs up Here we go..

Thanks Chris,

Gona give em a try this weekend. (crosses fingers) I'll let ya know. Would like to try some diff center designs. Will prob blow my Gizmo up, heheheheheheh
    Bernie :^)

Wisdom has no value unless it's shared.
    Ver. 177 in Test mode Ver.134 in reserve

Thanks Chris,
    Shows how observant i am i have never seen those numbers down there so it probally in the owners manual.

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12