Thread: Link for a tutorial on Dingbats

Default Link for a tutorial on Dingbats

Hey all, I posted this in another section, but thought it belonged here as well. I put together a tutorial on installing dingbats and fixing them if they aren't working in Designer. I also discuss making your own dingbats to take art and logos into Designer so you can carve them with centerline.
    I hope you'll like it...My "wit" is sometimes lost on the more intelligent folks, so forgive any of the bad jokes in it.
    Hope it helps someone.
    Doug

http://cncartguild.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4

and just a quick plug for Jason..I posted it at his new site...a CNC Art Guild of America. You can learn more while you're there.

Default Excellent tutorial...

The use of Dingbats has opened up a whole new world of possibilities for me. When you really start to look, there is quite a bit out there and the possibilities seem nearly limitless.

Thanks Dhaffner for the excellent tutorial and for promoting this additional resource.

Steve
    SawdustSteve

Great Tutorial Doug
    That is the way I did it with you on those earlier posts should help a lot of people.
    Last edited by DrBob; 04-26-2008 at 07:49 AM.
    Bob
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
    aka-DrBob
    Laptop Running Version 1.131

Great tutorial, what is the best font editor in your opinion (not considering price) Then i can see what to give up to get price down. Hope that made sense or if anybody else has a opinion on what they use.

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

Thanks guys!
    For font editors...you probably can't get a lot better than Fontlab studio (They also make fontographer). It's the cadillac of font editing suites. It (with scanfont) runs about $700 new. Fontographer, which is plenty awesome as well just with less features, is in the $375 range.

I still have to tell you, though, that I'm very happy with fontcreator. For $150 for the professional version it's very very good. It has all the major components you need and some that are just cool to have. It's probably way more than adequate for the mid-level user.

I mentioned as part of fontlab there is an application called "scanfont" You can buy it as a standalone for $99. It will let you scan a printed or drawn font and convert it to truetype (etc.). So,You say?...well for those who aren't as skilled at illustration (say, making vector drawings to use as art in Designer) This tool would let you take existing art (or god forbid a printed logo) and get it converted into something vectored you could put in a dingbat font and carve with centerline. That's pretty cool in and of itself.

Doug

Speaking of dingbats, thought some people might be interested in this

http://www.clanbadge.com/kn.htm
    Ver 1.150
    Kevin

"Carving has it ups & downs"

Thats Awsome Amonaug
    Thanks for sharing this with us.
    Bob
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
    aka-DrBob
    Laptop Running Version 1.131