Thread: Chuck Problem solved

Talking Chuck Problem solved

Well after posting that my chuck, after 200+ hours, was starting to jamb when I tried to release the bits I decided it might be going bad. So after reading that some have had problems with theirs I thought, well, I guess it's my time finally. NOPE!

I went out yesterday and got some locktite. Resigned myself to taking it apart this morning to see what was up. After discovering that I didn't have a thin enough 7/8" wrench to do the job I was a bit bummed. But I'm glad it went that way. Not being able to remove it forced me into trying "other" methods.

Now most of you know just how anal I am about keeping my baby clean right? Well, it would seem that even the most meticulous care sometimes isn't enough. I looked, cleaned, lubed, looked, cleaned, lubed again. After working it up and down throughout this process for about 15 minutes, impacted dust and chips started falling out of it. It now works just as perfectly as it always has.

So you see? NOT the chuck folks, but the USER caused yet another issue. Guess I'll have to hone my meticulous care even further now....lol

COOL!!!
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Cool good for you Chris

While not all issues are human error, I would have to agree alot are. Dust is our formost enemy with the cw/cc. I have cleaned mine every 2nd carve since i got it and solved alot of isses by doing this. Simply using an air nozzel to blow the dust out and shop vac, is not enough to keep it running smoothly. After having a few non human related issues i have had mine apart quite a few times and it amazing the dust build up where you cant see. Underneath is a prime example. Have had the bottom cover off several times to clean, theres more under there than you think. I do not think you could clean it enough...
    Still using 1.120 & 1.126

I know exactly what you mean. I now take the side covers off as well at the end of every week. I "thought" I was getting at least most of the dust out of those areas by vacuuming but like you said, it was only what I could see. I was amazed when I first took them off to see what I had been missing.

There are a lot of nooks and crannies that you just can't get to without some minor disassembly. Still learning....lol
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

4. Default

So you see? NOT the chuck folks, but the USER caused yet another issue. Guess I'll have to hone my meticulous care even further now....lol

COOL!!![/QUOTE]

Thank you Chris, for sharing that with us, but still you can't blame human error on this! If the manual stated clean the QC then if I didn't then yes human error!

But as you pointed out just another thing to look out for. I think after I clean my shrine up I will be afraid to use it! LOL just joking my friends. Just makes another point this is a hobbyist machine.

Thanks again Chris!

Rav

I think I know what you mean Rav but as for me, I don't really need a manual to tell me to keep my tools clean. Funny thing is, I thought I was....LOL

Just goes to show, there's always room for improvement on our part.
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

6. Default

Chris, I too don't need a manual to tell me to clean! Shoot I read and just as I put it down I forgot almost all I read!!! It only makes sense to clean all moving parts, so again thank you for the 411!

Rav