Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A head scratcher

Default A head scratcher

Well....I've been carving away for about two months or so and haven't had many issues at all, but now I'm up on one that I haven't ran across in the forum. I'll try to explain the best that I can, so here we go...

I went to load a project the other day and when the machine went to measure the board it was moving VERY slow. Meaning that sandpaper belts were CREEPING along. It eventually got up to "normal" speed but took it a second. Then when begining to start the actual carve, the cut motor did the exact same thing. It tooks it's own sweet time to get up and going but it eventually got there before the bit actually touched the wood. Also, during the carve I had it do the edge routing (I was lazy) and the bit actually burned the wood. The bit shows signs of overheating as well. This was on the second of two carvings. The first approx 45 min, the second about an hour. With about 45 minutes rest in between the two, and both finished normally with any other problems. The projects were made of oak. Also, (don't know if this matters) but I'm getting the "please close cover" error. It's somewhat intermitent, but appears the switchs are on thier last leg. I've been getting the check cut motor since about the second week of carving and I'm thinking it's about to give out. Anyway, anyone have any ideas before I call LHR about the cover switches?

Thanks again all!

Dave

2. Default

Dave, how cold was your shop when you started? Everything moving slow sounds like being too cold. Remember for the CC to run correctly it must be the optimal conditions. The correct temp., the machine must be clean, your mouth in the right position, the wind blowing 5-10 miles an hour to the south etc. !

As forth to the close cover check the screws holding it to see if they are loose. Plus see if any dust or dirt may be making the switch not operate correctly. With the CCM are you running the most current software and is the motor the older model?

I have both the problems you have, with my close cover I need to shut the cover several times sometimes with a little force! I guess I will be ordering a new switch, as you may need to do!

Rav

For the close cover error. Follow the wires for the switches to where they plug into the board and make sure it isn't loose. I just had that problem with intermittent errors.
    Ver 1.150
    Kevin

"Carving has it ups & downs"

4. Default

opps I forgot that one!!!! May the wind be at your back!

Rav

I went to load a project the other day and when the machine went to measure the board it was moving VERY slow. Meaning that sandpaper belts were CREEPING along. It eventually got up to "normal" speed but took it a second.
    First things I would look for: Was the sliding guide plate up too tight against the wood causing a bind?

Second: What version of Designer are you using? I would upgrade to 1.126 and make sure you update the firmware on teh card to the same version.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

6. Default

I still think his shop was too cold, this has happen to me. If you read it eventually got up to normal speed. As it moved it got warmer until it reached the temp. it need to work " normal" Haven't figured what is normal, lol.

Dave just as I asked above the software not being the lastest could be causing a CCM. Plus if you have the older model motor the magnet may have slipped. Just hit enter it will continue to work. Like I said if you are not holding your mouth just right something may go wrong! Oh wait that is for fishing!!!

I think I am going to set my CC in my shop as a tool altar, since I pray everytime I use it!!!

Rav

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am using the latest software/firmware. The temp shouldn't have been a problem. It was warm 75+ in Oklahoma City this weekend!!! I'm not really sure what the temp was on Friday night/Sat morning, but I didn't start carving until around 2pm (gotta keep the neighbors happy) so I would think it would have had time to warm by then. I just really didn't take note of it since it was so warm out. Being Oklahoma, the wind blowing thing we have covered, but I think it was coming from the west on Saturday!

Anyway, I'll chase the wires on the cover switch back to the board to see if that could be the problem. I already pulled the switches and tried to clean them up as best I could. Like you Rav, I have to stand there and do the open/close/open/close/oooooppppeeennnnn/CLOSE routine and it eventually works.

As far as the motor... The guide plate may have been a little tight up against the board. Honestly, I'm not really sure as I've cut so many projects up till now I don't even really think about it anymore. I just do it!! So it is possible that I goofed that one. For the CCM error, I posted about that one before and from the replies I recieved, plus reading other posts, I've come to the conclusion that the magnet has slipped. I'm just not brave enough to take it apart and check things out. Like I said, it HAS been working without an issue after you hit enter so I didn't worry to much about it.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by OKCCarver View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I am using the latest software/firmware. The temp shouldn't have been a problem. It was warm 75+ in Oklahoma City this weekend!!! I'm not really sure what the temp was on Friday night/Sat morning, but I didn't start carving until around 2pm (gotta keep the neighbors happy) so I would think it would have had time to warm by then. I just really didn't take note of it since it was so warm out. Being Oklahoma, the wind blowing thing we have covered, but I think it was coming from the west on Saturday!

Anyway, I'll chase the wires on the cover switch back to the board to see if that could be the problem. I already pulled the switches and tried to clean them up as best I could. Like you Rav, I have to stand there and do the open/close/open/close/oooooppppeeennnnn/CLOSE routine and it eventually works.

As far as the motor... The guide plate may have been a little tight up against the board. Honestly, I'm not really sure as I've cut so many projects up till now I don't even really think about it anymore. I just do it!! So it is possible that I goofed that one. For the CCM error, I posted about that one before and from the replies I recieved, plus reading other posts, I've come to the conclusion that the magnet has slipped. I'm just not brave enough to take it apart and check things out. Like I said, it HAS been working without an issue after you hit enter so I didn't worry to much about it.

Well 75 degrees seems to be a good temp! Must have been the wind blowing from the West! Maybe your board was not square and the fence was too tight. Still sounded like many times starting the ol' shrine and not being the temp to it's liking!

I guess you will need to replace your cover switch? I have replaced mine a few times...... getting very frustrating!

Rav

For the CCM error, I posted about that one before and from the replies I recieved, plus reading other posts, I've come to the conclusion that the magnet has slipped. I'm just not brave enough to take it apart and check things out. Like I said, it HAS been working without an issue after you hit enter so I didn't worry to much about it.

Dave,

Checking the motor is an easy job to do.

Unplug the CW machine!

Remove cover http://www.carvewright.com/forum/att...9&d=1169858427
    Hardest part of this is getting your fingures in to unplug the wire.

After removing the cover it is easy access to the motor. Unplug the RPM sensor, loosen screw on flex shaft cover at cut motor.
    3 screws hold the motor to the frame and I believe 4 for the case on the motor. 2 wires on the back to unplug.

You might not have to take the motor apart because:
    Man after typing all of that I just remmebered that you can probably see the end of the magnet retainer on the end of the shaft with a good light. If you have read all of the posts in "cut motor 101" you should have a good idea of what you are looking for.

Looks like you are a new carver based on your joing date, so you should be under warannty. You can call it in to LHR and they will send you a new one after paying the $40 refundable core charge, send you a new one after you send the bad one in or order just the new plastic magnet retainer $5 + $12 shipping.

I just went through this a couple of weeks ago and I ended up getting the new motor + core charge + new magnet. Kept the old one for back up.
    Cost for just buying a new motor is around $75

Hope this helps you out and don't be :
    I'm just not brave enough to take it apart and check things out.

Good luck
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Cool Power maybe?

Slow moving belts and cut motor? Could it be power related?

I have my CW on a completely separate circuit of it's own but I once turned on a shop vac plugged into that outlet while it was carving and was simply amazed how much the motor slowed down. If you have it plugged into a circuit that has something else that goes on and off from time to time, that may have an effect.

Just a thought.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast