Thread: Two-sided Celtic Cross

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Two-sided Celtic Cross

I have finished my first carving that I would even think of showing the experts on this forum. It's a two-sided carving of a Celtic Cross. The attached pictures show it before removing from the board and after I sanded and varnished it. I like that it's three-dimensional although the picture doesn't show that well.

I used the Celtic Knot 3D program that I had mentioned over in Techniques a while back. I saved the knot as a .stl file and then imported into Doug's great CarvePic program. I then tweaked the height map within CarvePic and saved as a .png, and then imported into Designer.

Since both sides of this particular knot are symmetrical (not all are), I was able to use the same .png for both sides of the carving. One thing I learned the hard way is that when you do two-sided carving, it's very important that the board be perfectly square. Any out-of-square shows up as misalignment between the front and back of the finished carving.

Anyway, with a successful carving under my belt, I'm ready to take on many more! (I have to because if my math is right, this one carving cost me about $2000, another 1999 carvings and they'll each cost a buck!!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Celtic Cross1.jpg   Celtic Cross2.jpg