Thread: Celtic Knots

Default Celtic Knots

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I found a free program that allows you to design a Celtic knot and then output a height map that can be loaded into CarveWright Designer. I am cutting my first one using the output and so far it looks pretty good.

The program is called Knots3D and can be downloaded from www.abbott.demon.co.uk/knots.html

You first design your knot (pretty easy, point and click), and then you can save it directly as a height map. The format of the height map is .bmp so I found I had to do some slight manipulation to get a useable file. The first thing I did is import the .bmp into Paint Shop Pro. Then I simply exported as a .png (converting the background to transparent). Then it's just a matter of importing into CarveWright Designer and saving as a .ptn

The resolution is quite good and you can control the depth within the Knot3D program.

Another feature that I haven't tried yet (I will but one step at a time!) is that the program can output a mirror image height map. I think this means that you can create two-sided knots if you are so inclined. I remember that cycollins posted about two-sided carvings about a year ago (whatever happened to him? he had some great insights into two-sided carving).

Anyway, it seems ready made for creating Celtic knots to your hearts content. By the way, the program creator, Steven Abbott, created the program just for fun and is very willing to adjust it to make it more useable for the CarveWright.

Definitely an interesting program. Here's a few examples I saved as 2D paths and converted directly to MPC vectors.
    Attached Files Attached Files

looks similar to a program called knotplot

http://knotplot.com/