Thread: 1/8" translucent acrylic

Default 1/8" translucent acrylic

I've been trying to carve some lithopanes in white translucent acrylic. The material is 1/8" thick. I can carve it ok, but when you put a light behind it, the effect is not anywhere near the corian lithopanes I've seen. I've also tried 1'4" clear lexan. The picture looks good when held up to the light, but not anything like the corian carvings. Has anybody had any luck with either the 1/8" translucent or the 1/4" clear? Any comments would be appreciated.

Default translucent acrylic

Just a thought,

How about a thin coat of air brush acrylic semi translucent white paint
    When my machine gets back I'll give it a try.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Default lighting

On the clear lexan you can light the edge (say like using leds) it does not light anything but the carved area. You can try it by taking a maglight flashlight and put it on the edge (with the head removed and the bulb sticking out).
    Firefighters trained to save your butt not kiss it!

Default Lighting Ideas

I have used Leds and Mag lites with the Cast Acrylic, and the effects are quite striking.
    I went to our local Radio Shack store a short time back and bought the items I needed
    to build a few battery powered 3 Volt DC. Lights for clear lexan carvings plus a few 110 Volt adapters
    for Letophane Night Lights ------ it’s all fun with lots of tinkering involved.
    Here’s some scrap pieces of clear polycarbonate on my desk
    The last photo is with the office lights off.

Ps I prefer to use low Voltage in the projects for the Grand Kids rooms.
    -- Best to stay on the Safe Side
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06180a.jpg   DSC06182a.jpg   DSC06184a.jpg   DSC06186a.jpg  

Last edited by Kenm810; 03-05-2008 at 09:43 AM.
    Ken

Default lithopane lighting

Thanks for the info on the lighting guys. I'll try these ideas. I am really hung up on the lithopanes for some reason. I had one 2" x 2" piece of corian I tried carving a small pic. on. Still not like the other lithopanes I've seen.

Default Lighting Ideas

Ken,

I like your lighting ideas. Could you provide a few more details? Where did you get the socket for the Maglite bulbs? I hate to think I have to buy a $10 Maglite to get a $2 light socket. What is the best way to have the light shine on the carving, should it be back lit or is it better to have the light shine on the edge? I'm thinking of framing the acrylic in a wooden (carved) frame with a switch on the side and the batteries on the back, but I'm not really sure how to position the light. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The sockets were for Radio Shack, if I remember right they were 4 to pack for $1.59,
    their bayonet style and with a little pinch with tour fingers they work perfect.
    The mag bulbs come in packs of 2 for $2.99 If the Cast Acrylic is clear I light it from the edge,
    if it's translucent or frosted I like the affect lighting it from the rear has.
    Ken

Thanks Ken. I'm on my way to Radio Shack...