Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pen turning designs

1. Default Similar question

I have a similar question. If a person wanted to carve out a number of small 3 or four inch, fairly complex peaces that are one inch thick, can they do it? I would think that the peaces would jump around after they were carved from the initial board (Think thick puzzle peaces).

What is the smallest peace that can be carved?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf the Dog View Post
    I have a similar question. If a person wanted to carve out a number of small 3 or four inch, fairly complex peaces that are one inch thick, can they do it? I would think that the peaces would jump around after they were carved from the initial board (Think thick puzzle peaces).

What is the smallest peace that can be carved?
    You an cut out very small pieces. smaller than 3 or 4 inches for sure. The machine leaves little tabs at the bottom of the board to hold them in place. These tabs can then be cut with a utility knife to remove the pieces from the board
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

3. Default Fast response

Very fast response, Thanks!

Peter,

Why does the pen need to be round? I've seen some 3 sided pens that feel ok and would provide a flat surface for engraving.

Quote Originally Posted by wood-of-1kind View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input. Guess the consensus seems to be that: NO CAN DO!!!!
    -Peter-
    I wouldn't say no just yet. I've made lots of pens in the past so I understand the process, but never used the CC.

I believe you could use the machine to cut interesting things like inlayed shapes into your pen blank before you drill or turn it, think 1/4" diamonds or celtic knots, etc. You could fill with either contrasting wood or a product called liquid inlay or colored epoxy.

I think they would make very interesting pens.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Router-Jim View Post
    I wouldn't say no just yet. I've made lots of pens in the past so I understand the process, but never used the CC.

I believe you could use the machine to cut interesting things like inlayed shapes into your pen blank before you drill or turn it, think 1/4" diamonds or celtic knots, etc. You could fill with either contrasting wood or a product called liquid inlay or colored epoxy.

I think they would make very interesting pens.

Jim

Thanks Jim,
    you're quite correct with the "infill" idea but carving intricate (small) designs is what I'm really looking for to use on my pen designs. The diamond and celtic knots I can do without the $2K+ expenditure right now. Engraving a customer name or company logo would also be a nice thing to do if this machine had such capability.
    -Peter-

Quote Originally Posted by dr01allen View Post
    Peter,

Why does the pen need to be round? I've seen some 3 sided pens that feel ok and would provide a flat surface for engraving.

Methinks that a 3-sided pen would look interesting at first BUT may prove to be uncomfortable to hold after prolongred periods of writing. I'm a traditionalist and as such still expect my pens/pencils to be round. I do not want to discount your suggestion that a flat surface is good (easier) to place a design on the pen barrel. I appreciate your suggestion.
    -Peter-

No Pen on this, but made some pen boxes from Walnut.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pen Boxes2.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	10699

The picture does not show it, but the tops are have a pen slot on the base as well.

by the way, the white stuff in the pen grooves was residue from the Beall buffing system.

nathan
    nathan

< Insert witty phrase here... >
    Ver 1.130

Quote Originally Posted by wood-of-1kind View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input. Guess the consensus seems to be that: NO CAN DO!!!!
    -Peter-
    I think liquidguitars from this site has probably done very small inlays on guitars also, I bought some adapter from someone on this board that made adapter for just that, accepting smaller bits than 1/4 like 1/16 shank also when i bought them there was talk of putting inlays on pool sticks seems like that would be close.

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by ncamp View Post
    No Pen on this, but made some pen boxes from Walnut.

The picture does not show it, but the tops are have a pen slot on the base as well.

by the way, the white stuff in the pen grooves was residue from the Beall buffing system.

nathan
    Nathan,

The pen boxes look great. Questions: Are you using small magnets to hold the top and bottom together? I observed the small drilled holes at the two corners and wondered if that was for the magnets. If so, where do you purchase them from?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast