Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pen turning designs

Smile Pen turning designs

Hello all,

new guy here. Are there any PENTURNERS from this community that are using the Carvewright to place design elements on their pens(wood, acrylic)? Would dearly love to know of your experience(s) and how capable this machine is suited to handling designs on a very small "canvas". With a pen being so small, are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of?

Will also welcome all non pen turners to share their story in terms of small designs going on their work.

Cheers to all.
    -Peter-

Peter, Welcome to the forum, I turn pens also but i don't think you can hold them.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by castingman View Post
    Peter, Welcome to the forum, I turn pens also but i don't think you can hold them.

Michael

Thanks for the welcome, Michael. Is it possible to have a "jig" to hold the pens (cradle style)? Are you a member of IAP?
    -Peter-

Hi Peter,

I've done a few presentation boxes for my turned pens, with small font text in Centerline and a couple small patterns, But the pens being round and so small, I haven't found a font or patterns small enough to look good on the pens themselves.
    If you fine one let us all know.

Ps almost forgot --- Welcome to the forum
    Last edited by Kenm810; 02-27-2008 at 01:23 PM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Peter,

Yes i am a member but i don't have any pics on there, I just found out how to post pics here.

I don't think you can do it but theres people on this forum way smarter than i am. They may be able to help.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Kenm810 View Post
    Hi Peter,

I've done a few presentation boxes for my turned pens, with small font text in Centerline and a couple small patterns, But the pens being round and so small, I haven't found a font or patterns small enough to look good on the pens themselves.
    If you fine one let us all know.

Ps almost forgot --- Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the greeting Ken. I'm beginning to lose hope before my hoping has started How small of a design has anyone created so far? Guess that I'm testing the limits of this machine with my small stringent requirements. In this case, (small) size does matter

-Peter-

You could probably do it building a jig to fixture the pen and inserting an engraving bit in the chuck. But the CW doesn't carve text on a round surface evenly.
    Mel

Patterns for sale at CW's Pattern Depot
    Check out "Yankee Pop's Shop" at
    http://www.carvewright.com/store/pat...nkeepop&page=1

Default Font size

It will come down to the smallest font size. After wanting to do plastic name tag size text I was not able to get it to look good. Smaller then 3/8 text was the best that I could get even with a Rotary Engraver bit cut down and using the V60 in designer. That was a long time ago and it is possible that the new program is better for smaller text.

I ended up getting a Rotary Engraver to fill that need.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03577_WEB.jpg   DSC03585_WEB.jpg   DSC05190_WEB.jpg  

Unhappy Pens? pretty tough

Quote Originally Posted by hotpop View Post
    You could probably do it building a jig to fixture the pen and inserting an engraving bit in the chuck. But the CW doesn't carve text on a round surface evenly.
    I saw this thread and...well....just had to give it a try.

Like Mel said, you just can't carve centerline text too well on a curved surface.

This MPC uses a 1/2" diameter pen (pretty fat for pens) and as you can see it, would be tough at best.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Thanks everyone for your input. Guess the consensus seems to be that: NO CAN DO!!!!
    -Peter-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast