Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bits needed

Default bits needed

I am seriously thinking of purchasing one of these machines but ahve a couple of questions.

is it better to buy from sears or directly from carvewright?

Should I buy the full bit set at the same time as the machine? Or can I do most project with the bits it comes with?

How long does a bit last? how many hours?

if I want to make a sign bigger than the max 14" can I brake the image in 2, carve both parts and have the 2 peices perfectly aligned to "glue" them together?

Is there anyone in the platsburg or burlington area that has one that I could possibly go see before purchasing?

thanks for your help.

Judy

Judy,

is it better to buy from sears or directly from carvewright?
    They are both the same machine. Sears has sales, saving $200 bucks or so.
    LHR makes the machines and does all the service for both machines.

Should I buy the full bit set at the same time as the machine? Or can I do most project with the bits it comes with?
    If it in the budget go for it.

How long does a bit last? how many hours?
    That's a hard one to answer. At least 50 hrs. It will also depend on what your cutting. The bits are made of carbide. You are more likely going to break one before it wears out. The bits will show some wear if you start cutting a lot teak because teak has a lot of sand in the grain.

if I want to make a sign bigger than the max 14" can I brake the image in 2, carve both parts and have the 2 peices perfectly aligned to "glue" them together?
    Yes! - I make a full pattern of a sign. Then place the top half of the pattern on one board the place the bottom half of the pattern on another board. You need to turn on the snap to grid feature to insure alignment of the halves.

Is there anyone in the platsburg or burlington area that has one that I could possibly go see before purchasing?
    I give up where's that? What State is it in?
    Mel

Patterns for sale at CW's Pattern Depot
    Check out "Yankee Pop's Shop" at
    http://www.carvewright.com/store/pat...nkeepop&page=1

anywhere close enough to the quebec canada border. Vermont, NewYork, Maine...

4. Default Choice is fairly clear

I wouldn't worry about the bits until you have used it a while, you may decide want to purchase the centerline text option. It is great for name plates and signs. If you do signs with lettering, you will want the 60 Degree V Bit or the 90 Degree V Bit. They make lettering signs much nicer. They didn't come with the basic machine, but I purchased mine over a year ago, so there may be different bits now.

If you purchase it through Sears, you can purchase an extended warranty, and you should expect to need it. I rarely ever buy those extended warranties, but this would be the exception. The very nature of the machines actions creates vibrations that most other tools do not experience. Those vibrations and movements can challenge the best of designs. They are fun when they are working, but frustrating if they go down. They have good support, but you want to ensure you are covered.

Default If this were a Democracy….

Hi Judy

My vote would be for Sears. If you purchase from Sears, if for any reason you are not satisfied, simply return your purchase in its original packaging with your receipt within 90 days of your purchase for a refund. Well, that’s what it says on the back of my receipt. Secondly if you purchase from sears you can purchase what they call a Master Protection Agreement for a 3 or 5-year period. CarveWright’s warranty is I believe 1 year or 200 hrs which ever comes first. If you purchase the Master Protection Agreement there is an added benefit of 10% off all parts and accessories for the covered products.

At present the CompuCarve on the sears web site is on sale thru 02/14/08. If you use you Sears Card they have a Special offer of 20% off on tool purchases over $400. Which ends 02/09/08. Which if sears stays true to form; they will most likely run again in the near future.

On CraveWright’s site all bits are listed as carbide, on the Sears site only the 1/16 Carving Bit and 1/8 Cutting Bits are listed as Carbide. The others, which look similar to CarveWright’s, are listed as, tip material: Steel. This may just be a mistake in the listing, but if it were not, I would need a good deal more then 10% off to buy the steel bits.

Which ever one you choose, remember to keep the packaging you will need it if you have to return it for repairs.

Hi Toolman

Quote Originally Posted by TonyToolman View Post
    The very nature of the machines actions creates vibrations that most other tools do not experience. Those vibrations and movements can challenge the best of designs.
    I don’t know of any rotating tool that doesn’t vibrate. At present mine is sitting on the top of my table saw. I have only done short runs, the longest 40 minutes. There is vibration, but it doesn’t walk. It’s in the same location when it finishes, as it was when it started. The planner I use has as much vibration and I would say encounters more stress.

Bill

I have asked the sears people and they confirm that the bit are made of steel... not carbide. So I bought the machine at sears, with the 5 year plan... but will be getting my bits from carvewright directly.

you have all been very helpfull. thanks!

Judy

Judy,

All the bits CW sells are solid carbide (small bits: carving, cutting) or carbide tipped. I would not waste my money trying to use HSS (high speed steel) bits in the machine, better to get the carbide one. They will last you many hundreds of hours.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

I fully agree with you. this is why I will be purchasing my bits from carvewright directly and not from sears. Carbide is the way to go.

it's kind of weird that the bits sears have for the carvewright would not be the same as the ones you buy directly from carvewright... especially considering from everything I've read, the machines are the same... why would they want to sell cheaper bits?

anyway... logic and business are not always aligned

judy

purchased some bits from sears, they are freud bits and I would bet dollars to donuts thats where carvewrigt gets them. woodworkers supply has the bits, be sure to look at the spiral bits, the 1/8" bit with 1/4 shank is about $19 at their web site. Only difference I can see so far is the carvewright bit has a flat spot on the shank

After sending you my comments on sears bits I went out to the shop and checked, the sears bits are carbitei

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast