Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious if I can do these projects with a CarveWright

Default Curious if I can do these projects with a CarveWright

Howdy gang,

I'm just learning about the CarveWright machine. Is it possible to use this machine to make something like ceiling fan blades? Meaning, could I take a blank piece of wood and have the machine cut the shape of the ceiling fan blade as well as the detailed carvings on the blade itself? Or would I have to cut the blade to the shape I wanted first, then just let the CarveWright do the image carving on the blade that way?

Also curious if anyone uses it to make things like drink coasters. Please pardon the rudimentary questions; I'm an admitted noob on this stuff.

Default it csn do all of that and more

juyst an amazing machine. download the trial software and play with it.

First off welcome to the forum.

Your machine should have no problem carving and cutting out ceiling fan blades. Coasters and trivets are easy to make as well as being a good learning experience for using the Designer program. They also don't waste much wood. LOL

Go to the gallery forum and go to the second search area. The one that says "Search this forum" Search for coaster and then again for trivets and there should be quite a few to look at. You will find some actual patterns posted in the pattern sharing department that you can download and use.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Wow another neat idea this machine will do this in your sleep. And it will drill the mounting holes also. But you will need to build a sled because fan blades are only 1/4" thick and the machine will only go down to 1/2".
    Where is the "Any Key" key located on the keypad
    Growing old is a privilege not everyone gets to enjoy.

Thumbs up

Welcome, what a neat idea (another one that I need to keep my from wife) and YES you can do it with a good design and sled as mentioned, should you do it make sure you post some pics!!!
    Happy Carving
    Top Dog @
    The Dog House Custom Woodworking LLC
    www.doghouseww.com
    The "DH" is now in the Pattern Depot http://www.carvewright.com/store/pat...vendor=derr890

Thumbs up I think so.

Basically, if you can design it properly, the CW can cut it properly.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by carvingoutaniche View Post
    Howdy gang,

I'm just learning about the CarveWright machine. Is it possible to use this machine to make something like ceiling fan blades? Meaning, could I take a blank piece of wood and have the machine cut the shape of the ceiling fan blade as well as the detailed carvings on the blade itself? Or would I have to cut the blade to the shape I wanted first, then just let the CarveWright do the image carving on the blade that way?
    Every fan blade I have seen is made from plywood, for very good reasons. I have done a little carving on plywood and the results are very marginal.

I don't know why fan blades would be a problem. I was thinking about that same thing just a few days ago but put it on the back burner for a while. Sounds like fun project.

Many blades are made of tempered masonite.
    Mel

Patterns for sale at CW's Pattern Depot
    Check out "Yankee Pop's Shop" at
    http://www.carvewright.com/store/pat...nkeepop&page=1

Hey carvingoutaniche,

I'd make sure all the blades weight the same, so if you plan on making different carvings on each bade, becareful because it might throw the fan motor out of balance damaging the motor bearings.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikewiz View Post
    Hey carvingoutaniche,

I'd make sure all the blades weight the same, so if you plan on making different carvings on each bade, becareful because it might throw the fan motor out of balance damaging the motor bearings.

Mike.
    That's a REALLY good point Mike!
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast