Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Food safe wood stain and sealer?

Default cutting boards

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Hollow View Post
    Someone in the last few months posted a research article showing that wooden cutting boards are much safer than other materials. Interesting that any remaining bacteria remaining on the surface after cleaning, are captured below the surface. HotPop posted the article. It should be read by all of us who make cutting boards.

Here it is:http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/fa...ttingboard.htm

Thanks HotPop
    In reading the above article I quote: Our research was first intended to develop means of disinfecting wooden cutting surfaces at home, so that they would be almost as safe as plastics. My wife taught the class in Calif. for Food Handlers Cards and to have our church complyent in the new kitchen I volunteered to get my card from the state of Oregon and the info for both states are the same. Wood will transfer bacteria far greater than closed surfaced materials such as granit, steel, glass, and plastic. Its not that wood can't be cleaned to a safe condition but rather that most people do not know the proper prcedure in which to do so. And then you have to ask what type of finish to put on that will with stand the cleaning process over and over and yet stay on to not only ad to the looks of wood but also protect from bactera.
    Do you want safe or almost as safe?
    Last edited by leesheridan; 07-01-2008 at 10:38 AM.
    In Him, Mike
    msphilpott@tnet.biz

Default cutting boards

If the idea of using some type of kitchen oil as a finish such as peanut, olive, corn or the like. Thats worse. The bactera stays with the oil longer.
    In Him, Mike
    msphilpott@tnet.biz

This quote seems to indicate the advantage of wood over USED plastic. "However, wooden boards that had been used and had many knife cuts acted almost the same as new wood, whereas plastic surfaces that were knife-scarred were impossible to clean and disinfect manually, especially when food residues such as chicken fat were present."
    Jerry

Joanne and me enjoying a beautiful fall in Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills.

I think this line says it all, "We began our research comparing plastic and wooden cutting boards after the U.S. Department of Agriculture told us they had no scientific evidence to support their recommendation that plastic, rather than wooden cutting boards be used in home kitchens."

Since when does the government need credible scientific evidence before they go off half cocked?
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    I think this line says it all, "We began our research comparing plastic and wooden cutting boards after the U.S. Department of Agriculture told us they had no scientific evidence to support their recommendation that plastic, rather than wooden cutting boards be used in home kitchens."

Since when does the government need credible scientific evidence before they go off half cocked?
    Amen, never that I know of !!
    Jerry

Joanne and me enjoying a beautiful fall in Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills.

Default cutting boards

plastic can be placed in a dish washer as long as the water temp is high enough to kill bactera or a sanitizer is used. And that's with cuts on the surface.
    Last edited by leesheridan; 07-01-2008 at 07:21 PM.
    In Him, Mike
    msphilpott@tnet.biz

Default Bee's wax

I used bee's wax on some fruit bowls. The finish was made in the UK and was totally organic.

To confirm its organic qualities I had a bee show up while I was applying the finish and I had a difficult time getting him to go away.

I finally found a butcher block oil and finish by "Watco". It meets government certification for contact with food even though it is from petroleum distallates.

My daughter is into totally organic and insists on bee's wax for bowls and tung oil (natural)for furniture.

To confirm its organic qualities I had a bee show up while I was applying the finish and I had a difficult time getting him to go away.
    I can see the ad copy now, "So natural it even meets the approval of the bees themselves."

BTW, petroleum IS organic...
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123