Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Food safe wood stain and sealer?

One word of caution on food dye............. I used it on some toys I made for my newest grandson and, of course, it ended up in his mouth. The toy plans called for this method of coloring, but he never actually used it on one of his children, I think! If you could get a seal on the wood, it would probably work......... until the sealer gets worn. LOL

ps. Mother wasn't happy with Father for not watching son closer! Gotta love grandkids!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCP_0862.jpg   P1010007 (600 x 450).jpg  
    Ernie ..... running 1.162 and the Rock

Default Coffee as a stain?

Just a thought............... years ago when I lived in the land of the trolls (Lower Michigan), I bought a blackpowder rifle that was stained with coffee. I sold the gun long ago, but as I remember it, the color was dark, kinda like walnut. Because it was water based, I imagine the whiskers would need sanded down, but I would think it would be foodsafe.
    Ernie ..... running 1.162 and the Rock

Hey Ernie, from one of the troglodytes living in the land of the trolls

We often work with and restore Antiques,
    For years it was quite common to use coffee, tea, even berry juices
    to repair or color wood products. Some folks still do.
    And yes I was a Buckskinner too and use coffee to color my Connecticut Arms 45 cal. Brown Barreled Mountain Rifle.
    But thats another story from a life time ago.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Default wood for a cutting board?

What kind of wood would you recommend for a cutting board?

Quote Originally Posted by bdehoyos View Post
    What kind of wood would you recommend for a cutting board?
    Use any of the closed grain hardwoods. Maple, cherry, walnut are three of my favorites. Avoid the open grain woods like red oak or mahogany as there is the potential for bacteria to get in the pores.

I wrote a tutorial for another forum on creating end grain cutting boards if you're interested. (Lots of pictures)

http://woodworkerszone.com/wiki/inde...Cutting_Boards

Thanks , Very interesting !!!

Default Cutting Boards

I like Hard Maple for the cutting boards I make,the grain carves crisp,
    without a lot of chip outs when you use a little draft
    and it doesn't leave a ton of fuzzes the patterns or text.
    I've carved both single piece boards and I've glued up 1" x 3/4" strips and alternated the grains and colors
    to make up a butcher block type cutting board. Then finished them all by rubbing in some butcher block oil.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Default Cutting boards

Wood cutting boards have been around for ever and yes they are still used today. But do to the pores in all woods they are not the item of choice by any health department. If you were to cut raw chicken and then wipe it "clean" it still would not be clean. You have a great chance of spreading salmonella poisoning. And to put a food safe finish on it still will not take care of the problem. Again, do to the pores in all woods. They look great, they work good, but any proper cleaning method will either remove the finish or just not do a good job of cleaning.
    In Him, Mike
    msphilpott@tnet.biz

Exclamation Cutting Boards

Quote Originally Posted by leesheridan View Post
    Wood cutting boards have been around for ever and yes they are still used today. But do to the pores in all woods they are not the item of choice by any health department. If you were to cut raw chicken and then wipe it "clean" it still would not be clean. You have a great chance of spreading salmonella poisoning. And to put a food safe finish on it still will not take care of the problem. Again, do to the pores in all woods. They look great, they work good, but any proper cleaning method will either remove the finish or just not do a good job of cleaning.
    Someone in the last few months posted a research article showing that wooden cutting boards are much safer than other materials. Interesting that any remaining bacteria remaining on the surface after cleaning, are captured below the surface. HotPop posted the article. It should be read by all of us who make cutting boards.

Here it is:http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/fa...ttingboard.htm

Thanks HotPop
    Last edited by Eagle Hollow; 07-01-2008 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Different reference
    Jerry

Joanne and me enjoying a beautiful fall in Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Hollow View Post
    Someone in the last few months posted a research article showing that wooden cutting boards are much safer than other materials. Interesting that any remaining bacteria remaining on the surface after cleaning, are captured below the surface. HotPop posted the article. It should be read by all of us who make cutting boards.

Here it is:http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/fa...ttingboard.htm

Thanks HotPop
    Wow an eye opener

Thanks !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast