Thread: Food safe wood stain and sealer?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default cutting boards

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Hollow View Post
    Someone in the last few months posted a research article showing that wooden cutting boards are much safer than other materials. Interesting that any remaining bacteria remaining on the surface after cleaning, are captured below the surface. HotPop posted the article. It should be read by all of us who make cutting boards.

Here it is:http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/fa...ttingboard.htm

Thanks HotPop
    In reading the above article I quote: Our research was first intended to develop means of disinfecting wooden cutting surfaces at home, so that they would be almost as safe as plastics. My wife taught the class in Calif. for Food Handlers Cards and to have our church complyent in the new kitchen I volunteered to get my card from the state of Oregon and the info for both states are the same. Wood will transfer bacteria far greater than closed surfaced materials such as granit, steel, glass, and plastic. Its not that wood can't be cleaned to a safe condition but rather that most people do not know the proper prcedure in which to do so. And then you have to ask what type of finish to put on that will with stand the cleaning process over and over and yet stay on to not only ad to the looks of wood but also protect from bactera.
    Do you want safe or almost as safe?
    Last edited by leesheridan; 07-01-2008 at 10:38 AM.
    In Him, Mike
    msphilpott@tnet.biz