Thread: Clocks

1. Default Clocks

Hi All,
    I am planning on making custom clocks. My question is after I carve the front design can I turn the piece over and carve a recess for the clock movement in the back. In other words will the front carving interfer with this.

Thanks,
    Richard

Default Front and back

Hi Richard,

Nope, the front carving won't interfere as the CW ALWAYS carves the back of a project first if you put the recess on the back of the board initially. I carve the same recesses in mine all the time. Now if you want to carve the front and then remove the clock, you can still place it on a sled or carrier board and carve the back. I've done this as well.
    Last edited by ChrisAlb; 07-03-2008 at 07:07 AM.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Depending on the size of your recess and the bits/drill press you have available, Forstner bits are a whole lot quicker.

Thumbs up Time saver

Now THERE'S a good point Mike.....DUH...I REALLY feel silly now...

Ah yes, too old for much but not for learning. Isn't it funny how sometimes the most obvious things just escape us??
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Default clocks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Fugazzi View Post
    Hi All,
    I am planning on making custom clocks. My question is after I carve the front design can I turn the piece over and carve a recess for the clock movement in the back. In other words will the front carving interfer with this.

Thanks,
    Richard
    I use a plunge router to cut out the hole for the clock. I use the carver to drill the hole for the clock stem, insert the stem, and then draw the area to be routed. I preset the cutting depth so I don't accidentally go too deep.