Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large Signs

1. Question Large Signs

Has anyone attempted to do a double layer sign with a single line of text? I'm looking to make a 24" x 60" sign for an Insurance company. I need to figure out how to split the text horizontally down the middle and run the top and bottom separately. Any Ideas???

Not possible to split the text, but if it's 2 lines of text, just make 2 signs & joint and glue together. I did a 3ft x 5ft sign-3 lines of text that had 8" tall letters. They were maxed out for centerline.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

3. Smile Thanks..

Thanks for the quick reply.. Is this particular style of project on the wish list for future software releases????

4. Red face An alternative

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Walker View Post
    Has anyone attempted to do a double layer sign with a single line of text? I'm looking to make a 24" x 60" sign for an Insurance company. I need to figure out how to split the text horizontally down the middle and run the top and bottom separately. Any Ideas???
    How about using 3 boards -
    • Top (5"?) with trim, details, etc.
    • Middle with lettering (up to 14" or so), and
    • Bottom (5"?), again with trim, etc.

Should make a rather nice presentation.

Default How about this approach?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Walker View Post
    Hi Mike,

How about this? Two separate files (Top & Bottom) each 12" wide by 60" long. Make the text box and attach the "center" of it to the bottom of the top board file. Copy it and paste it into the Bottom board file and attach the "center" of it to the top of the bottom board file. Sound confusing?...lol It was for me to write so take a look at these two MPC files.

Hope this helps...

Chris
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

I like Tim's idea too!
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    Hi Mike,

How about this? Two separate files (Top & Bottom) each 12" wide by 60" long. Make the text box and attach the "center" of it to the bottom of the top board file. Copy it and paste it into the Bottom board file and attach the "center" of it to the top of the bottom board file. Sound confusing?...lol It was for me to write so take a look at these two MPC files.

Hope this helps...

Chris
    I think this is a great idea. I would keep the center point away from the edge slightly and then use a jointer to clean up the edges to create a "perfect" match. Even if a little hand work was necessary it would be a solution to something that's "not possible."

Default Yep, that too

An excellent suggestion John. I don't have a jointer but I do have a nice table saw so I start with that. It does a darn good job at making good mating rips. If I had a jointer, I would go your way for sure.
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

If you are joining thinner stock (1" or less) a router table with a split fence and a good straight cutting bit does a pretty good job at joining. I always run one board in face down and the other face up. That way if the router is not perfectly perpendicular the pieces will still mate with a flat top surface.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Default How about the CW?

Never tried it but the CW is supposed to able to joint as well, no? I've used a straight edge and router before with acceptable results as well.
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast