Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calibrating bit

Default Calibrating

Doc,

Thanks, I just watched it cut the slots in the board in the x and y dimensions then go to the sides and do the same, I guess that it was calibrating itself to the sensor.
    That makes a little more sense.

David

2. Default circle dimensions not cutting properly

I am attempting to cut a circle 2 7/16 inch in diameter and a depth of .688 using a carve region. The idea is to not cut all the way thru but cut out a space similar to what you might do when cutting out a door knob hole. Only difference I don't want to go all the way through.
    Problem is the machine cuts it 2 9/16" in diameter.
    Any idea on why the machine would not carve the size I request.????
    Any comments would be appreciated.
    BTW - when I UPLOAD the project I say 'NORMAL' instead of 'BEST' since I don't think that should make a difference with a simple circle.
    Reason I am doing this is to mount a clock in circle but the circle keeps coming out too big.
    BobH

Quote Originally Posted by bobinhouston View Post
    I am attempting to cut a circle 2 7/16 inch in diameter and a depth of .688 using a carve region. The idea is to not cut all the way thru but cut out a space similar to what you might do when cutting out a door knob hole. Only difference I don't want to go all the way through.
    Problem is the machine cuts it 2 9/16" in diameter.
    Any idea on why the machine would not carve the size I request.????
    Any comments would be appreciated.
    BTW - when I UPLOAD the project I say 'NORMAL' instead of 'BEST' since I don't think that should make a difference with a simple circle.
    Reason I am doing this is to mount a clock in circle but the circle keeps coming out too big.
    You have to account for the radius of the carving bit. Also the bit is tapered so the deeper you carve with it the wider the area it's going to carve out.

Instead you can try using paths and using 3/8" straight bit ot even the 1/8" cutting bit to carve out the area then you will get verticle sides and not tapered sides.
    Ver 1.150
    Kevin

"Carving has it ups & downs"

You could also cut a circle , then use the spiral feature to cut the middle of the circle.
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

When I ordered a 3/8" bit, it came without the adapter. Can anyone tell me how to set it up in the adapter? Is the length critical or does it matter?
    Last edited by Deolman; 11-09-2008 at 07:41 PM.

Pictures and illustration is in the manual.
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

I have looked at the pictures in the manual. The 3/8" bit is not shown and dimensions are not given. I have set up some v-bits the way the illustrations show and they work fine for me. I was just wondering if the 3/8" is more critical in the way it is set up because it will be used in a calibration procedure.

Default 3/8 inch bit

Deolman,

I'm probably talking when I should be listening, but...
    Since the length of the bit does not enter into the calibration process, I do not think it matters.
    However, the closer the end of the bit is to the bearings supporting it - the less stress and run-out you will get.
    So, I set my bits as high as possible while assuring that there is clearance inside the QC.
    My two cents.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

As I remember reading somewhere it said to keep1/8 inch between top of bit and holder.
    wooden nickel

Quote Originally Posted by Deolman View Post
    I have looked at the pictures in the manual. The 3/8" bit is not shown and dimensions are not given. I have set up some v-bits the way the illustrations show and they work fine for me. I was just wondering if the 3/8" is more critical in the way it is set up because it will be used in a calibration procedure.
    Page 42, figure 31 shows exactly how to assemble a 1/2" shank bit.
    Ver 1.150
    Kevin

"Carving has it ups & downs"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12