Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill head fell apart on 2nd run

Default Drill head fell apart on 2nd run

My company recently received our Carvewright system a few weeks ago. After setting up the system, we successfully carved a piece as a test. It worked great and had no problems. On our second run of the machine, it was working fine at the start. When we returned later to check on the progress, the machine had stopped and looked as if several screws had vibrated themselves out of the drill head. The belt controlling the up/down movement of the head had fallen out, and several screws inside the head casing had fallen out, causing the motor controlling the head to also fall out. Needless to say, it's a mess.

The machine is currently at our workshop, so I'm not able to get any pictures at the moment, but I should be getting some later today. I'm not terribly familiar with the Carvewright hardware quite yet, and I wasn't able to find any information on this particular problem. Carvewright hardware support seems to be tied up for at least a few more weeks, so If anybody else has any advice or resources on dealing with this sort of mess, it would be appreciated.

Default Falling apart

Neverfall,

What you described is a fearfull sight, one I hope to never see. I would think that a shipment to Texas would be necessary, sorry about that.

From my own experience with my machine I can not imagine so much distruction/disassembly while it is carving. Mine came back this last time with a Z-motor screw missing but it didn't end up in pieces as you described.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Default photos of the machine

Thanks for the advice Wheeler, even if it isn't the best news

I was able to get over to the shop and take a few (crappy) photos of the machine. It may not have been necessary, but I highlighted the motor in red, and the belt in blue. It has been reassembled enough so that the parts are where they originally were but when the machine is run, the screws and washers start falling out again. The problem area seems to be the plate behind the drill to which the motor and belt are attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW_Belt.jpg   CW_Motor.jpg  

Default FallingApart

NeverFall,

A lot less destruction than I envisioned, looks like the motor is Okay, just that the belt came off the Z truck. It still means a trip I think since LHR does not like us fussing with the Z truck bearings (which will have to come off I think).
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

5. Default

Was this a Compucarve from Sears or a Carvewright from LHR? If from LHR, that is very disappointing. It has been posted that they go over the machines they sell before sending them out to avoid these types of problems.

Default Lhr

Our Carvewright was ordered direct from LHR. It's unfortunate, but I guess it's going to have to be sent in already. Hopefully their hardware support returns my calls/e-mails sometime in the near future...

Default Calling LHR

Don't wait for a call back. It may never happen. They are too busy just handeling the calls as they come in. Keep calling until you get a human on the line. As soon as you do they'll be happy to help you! They are just too busy to make the callback, in my experience.

8. Default

Don't wait for a reply, it could take a long, looong time. Keep trying to contact them, they do answer sometimes.

I agree. I got a call back yesterday from an issue I called on over a week prior. It's much easier to call back and wait on hold.
    To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
    Thomas A. Edison

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Was this a Compucarve from Sears or a Carvewright from LHR? If from LHR, that is very disappointing. It has been posted that they go over the machines they sell before sending them out to avoid these types of problems.
    Yeah right. May I interest you in a bridge?
    Bill

As my Grandpa used to say "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast