Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Port on back of Carvewright

David Cowden Guest

Smile Port on back of Carvewright

What is the purpose of the port on the back of the Carvewright? I would like to add a powered entry and exit table and wonder if that is used for that purpose.

Thank You,
    David Cowden

Default This is rumor only

I can not say for sure but have been told by un-named source that it is for the fourth axis addition that was supposed to be coming out next year. So you can rotate something and carve all around it.

Now that I have put this out maybe LHR will finally answer. As I have ask them on the phone and in emails and never a response
    "Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles." Red Skelton

I have 1.132 and previous versions back to 1.19 on standby

Please support Cystic Fibrosis

The port is for LHR's use to check out the machine...

Quote Originally Posted by David Cowden View Post
    What is the purpose of the port on the back of the Carvewright? I would like to add a powered entry and exit table and wonder if that is used for that purpose.

Thank You,
    David Cowden
    Dirtydan
    A.K.A. The Gunny
    Every day I thank God for Mister Levi Strauss
    mailto:gunny@thegunnys.us
    http://www.thegunnys.us

David Cowden Guest

Can the port be used to access X Y or Z data? What is the pin-out of the port, Please?

thank You,
    David

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbabear View Post
    I can not say for sure but have been told by un-named source that it is for the fourth axis addition that was supposed to be coming out next year. So you can rotate something and carve all around it.

Now that I have put this out maybe LHR will finally answer. As I have ask them on the phone and in emails and never a response
    That is correct. Posted by C. Morlier, Carvewright staff Note: NO timetable for this

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/sho...0728#post10728

Thanks for finding and confirming John

QUOTE=John;40296]That is correct. Posted by C. Morlier, Carvewright staff Note: NO timetable for this

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/sho...0728#post10728[/QUOTE]
    "Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles." Red Skelton

I was told a couple years ago that it was for cw diagnostics.
    just what I heard back when I bought mine.
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

We may never know the truth. as it may never be used. But at least C. Morlier is or at least was an insider when he wrote that. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/sho...0728#post10728
    I wont hold my breath on them telling us until they decide to make use of it

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Woodman View Post
    later Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Woodman View Post
    later Daniel

That's wha they told me a couple of months ago... It makes sence, so I tend to believe that's what it is for... If the machine was going to have the cabability to carve in another axis, it's going to need a lot more than that plug in the back... I would think that would be a major re-design effort and a brand new machine... Guess we'll all have to wait and see...
    Dirtydan
    A.K.A. The Gunny
    Every day I thank God for Mister Levi Strauss
    mailto:gunny@thegunnys.us
    http://www.thegunnys.us

Default Sled

Gunny,

All you would need is a sled with a drive motor to hold the round blank. The head would be set to a Y position to match the sled center of rotation. The Z would work the same lowering as it went. The X would pull the sled through a little at a time. The Y2 Axis would rotate the piece as required as if it was a flat board.

Designer setup would be similar to what we do now just that the Board Width would be the Diameter of the work piece. A Starting height would need to be established but that would be a feature of the sled sides. The limit would be the high point of the rotating piece could not be higher than the rail sides of the sled. A rounded blank would give you a better yield of cuts with the 3/4 or 1 inch carving depth.

If you could get around the homing process of the bit with the Y1 Axis you could just use the Y1 Axis for the Rotation. But it will most likely be a Y2 axis that does the rotation.

Laser Engravers have rotation tools to do Wine Glasses and such.

Just a Dreaming....

AL

I borrowed some pictures from the Sawmill Laser Forum where the Laser Engraver guys are brainstorming the Rotary Device used in the Laser. I would love to build one for my Laser.

Mounting something like this on a sled to hold blanks and controlled by the Y2 Axis would work. BUT.... You need to rewrite Designer Software to act on this.... It's could just be an Activation Code away..... already being present in the Software like Centerline.....

You never know..... Could be a BIG PUSH for Sales next Christmas for LHR.... Pictures of the "NEW" Rotation SLED..... On the TV Ad's..... One way to BOOST SALES....

They would most likely size the jig to do Baseball Bats... That would be in the range of the Z with special purchased blanks from LG's Bat Division........ In on the ground floor.... Just kidding....

One more thing..... It would not be the DB25 Connector on the back of the machine that drives this but the Connector that the New Z Bundle uses for the Probe Data.... That is a Axis Drive PORT...... Just happened to be used by the new Z Bundle for Probe data... Weather there are enough wires to drive an axis too so you could "SCAN" a round item is yet to be seen.... But I think there still is.... They could recover the Lid Switch wires with a change to the New Z Bundle later to get the wires back and use a separate plug.... So many options SO MUCH FLEXIBILITY in the current design. Good Job LHR.
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 01-08-2008 at 10:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast