Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help breaking an outline path

1. Default Help breaking an outline path

Hello,
    I am trying to make a project for my son's teacher. I am trying to make a cut path that will follow the outline of the apple, and the rectangle that contains text. I just can't seem to figure out how to "break figure" on the apple. I can do it on the rectangle. Am I approaching this the wrong way? I know what I would do in AutoCAD, I would just draw the outline and "pedit" them together, do I need to do something similar here? If so how?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default File

I couldn't open your file, I guess I am 1.124 illeterate....

I did that yesterday making a dog bone. One rectangle and 4 circles.

Opened grid and snap to grid. Placed the 5 objects in the proper place. Opened the line segment tool and between straight lines and the curved line made points all around the outside of the 5 objects creating a cut path manually.

Worked.... Then deleted the 5 objects.

Good Luck,

AL

More than one way to skin a CAT.... Cantankerous Automated Technology....

3. Default

It was a 1.124 file, I had better check to make sure that it didn't get damaged during upload......darn internet connection anyway. I was thinking about doing the same thing with "tracing" my cut path. I know there has to be a way to make the darn program break segments other than circles and rectangles.

Jason

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sirsumm View Post
    Hello,
    I am trying to make a project for my son's teacher. I am trying to make a cut path that will follow the outline of the apple, and the rectangle that contains text. I just can't seem to figure out how to "break figure" on the apple. I can do it on the rectangle. Am I approaching this the wrong way? I know what I would do in AutoCAD, I would just draw the outline and "pedit" them together, do I need to do something similar here? If so how?
    I am not sure if this is what you wanted? I have the software and I have been playing with it. I am not sure if you are trying recess the area around the fonts and inside the boxed area. But using the line function it gives you the ability to put a box the way you want.

I am thinking of a different way too, maybe done in Corel....hmmmm I will take a look? Hope this helped?
    Rav

Sir, looking at it again you can break the figure in the rectangle, go to the corner over the apple you want to break figure. Then right mouse click and you will see the option to break the figure. Then you can adjust the ends to the edge of the apple, from there I think you should be able to recess the inside area to make the font pop.

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to get the inside box to carve. I took out the outside and forgot to put it back. Anyway like I said it is all Greek to me! I am not even sure if I will buy a Carvewright? I have a couple CNC, I really like the software of the Carvewright, but is very limited.

Ok hope that help I will peep down!!

Rav
    Last edited by Cmdr.Rav; 12-21-2007 at 06:57 PM.

Default My bad....

"It was a 1.124 file, I had better check to make sure that it didn't get damaged during upload......darn internet connection anyway. "

My bad... I am still running 1.121...... That's why I couldn't see it.

Finishing the last of my Christmas Deliveries and with both machines down waiting on parts last week, I am burning the midnight oil now getting orders out. Didn't need to get the 1.124 lock out during rush hour.... If it's not broke don't fix it.....

See 1.125 is out.... Will look at that.... Holiday Hours are posted on the Newsletter..... Let's see....When is the best day to break my machine and find help via the phone.... Or not....

Merry Christmas..... Must be the paint fumes.... Having to dry some projects in my Laser Shop.... Not good.....

Note to self.... Build that metal cabinet with the light bulbs installed for heat and a small fan to place stuff in it to dry in my unheated back outside room.

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 12-21-2007 at 09:12 PM.

Unhappy Break an outline

Sorry, but currently there isn't a way to break an "outline" created object. I've been looking for a way to do that for months, and the only thing to do is zoom in really close and then create a spline manually that follows the intended path (and the transitions from straight to curves is a real pain).

If LHR has a "to do" list, I hope they take into account how many times a particular features is asked about in the forum and and adjust their priority list accordingly.
    Richard
    ================
    Tempus Loquendi,
    Tempus Tacendi.

7. Default

Baron,
    That stinks! Oh well, I traced the spline like you suggested....I am going to carve it this morning. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jason

Jason,
    Or, how about this one, where I made a path around your apple and then just applied the vector Bezier tools to YOUR rectangle to outline the apple outside of it's path.
    Bob

Default Personally

I would carve it then cut it out on a scroll saw or carve in 2 pieces and glue the apple on top

Ed
    A person has to know their limitations, I know I have none..

10. Default

Bob, I have a question what did you do different then I did? I found if you make a rectangle around the lettering and go through the apple. You can right mouse click the corner in the apple and choose break figure option and then it lets you adjust the lines to end at the edge of the apple.

Just curious your designed looked like mine above, just trying to learn the software.

Rav

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast