Thread: Game room wall plaques

Default Game room wall plaques

I started making a few things for my gameroom, I decided to make a plaque based on the Death Valley slot machine I have. Being almost Halloween I thought it would get me in the mood.
    It is not done yet, I only sealed it, sprayed lamp black and Dremel+scotch Brite over the high spots, Red on the letters. It still needs blus and greys on the robes, the flash washed out the painted photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mikes parlor.JPG   RawDeath.JPG  
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

Default Sweet.

Pleasing! Can you share the bitmap you used for the carving? It looks like you used a photo for the source image, which usually causes pretty bad results, but here it seems to have done fine! I'm just interested in seeing how high-contrast the original one was, etc. It's great when things work out the way you want them to. =D The letters look like they took some damage... Was the chipout bad on those guys? What kind of wood were you using (the painted one totally makes the letters work, btw. that wasn't a criticism)?

Nice Paint-job so far, too! I mean, I like the piece anyway, but I appreciate the aesthetic. Halloween is fun. =D

Yeah, when I first looked at the unfinished one, I told myself.. "boy, those letters came out crappy.." Then when I looked at the painted one, I said "hey, I see where he's going with that...." Nice effect. Awesome job. I really like it.
    Free Tutorials, Patterns & Projects at www.ALLCW.com

The letters are a jagged rough font that did chip out but that just added to the character.
    343 thats hard maple I used to carve. Just scrap I have on hand but is carves nice.
    I found the reaper images online and smoothed (blur tool) quite a bit. The skulls were already shaded correctly for carving.
    I will post this one now, the others are too large to post. I like this one it carves very well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skull-Relief-Postersmoothed for carving.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Gman_Ind; 09-30-2007 at 09:27 PM.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com