Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three machines - all bad

castingman...

Thanks for the encouraging words. I've been frustrated but am not ready to give up. I am banking on this current machine being a keeper since I want to do some creative work with it while I'm on a sabbatical from the university. If things go south, I will be disappointed! So much creative potential. The machine, although complicated in what it does, seems relatively simple and straight forward in construction. I am puzzled why it couldn't be practically "bullet-proof."

Default Three Machines - All Bad

Thanks for all the replies.

I will verify that the Board edge sensor is working tomorrow and then I will make my decision about returning it for refund or replacement.

I think I have about memorized the operator's manual having read it through 'cover-to-cover' several times.

Sears has been more than patient with replacement...

BigMax

Default Further information

The board sensor appears to be okay according to the configuration test results.

However, this is what is happening now. After checking the sensor, I retried my project(s). In every case when it got to the point where it measures the center of the board, the machine would just hang. The LED display shows "Measuring board...".

Then I attempted calibrating offsets the machine would cut to the bottom of the board and then would continue to make a cutting pass.

Also had a "failure (2) reboot system" message on one attempt.

BigMax

BigMax, I didn't read through the whole thread due to the whining and crying (not necessarily you) that typically is contained in these posts... so someone may have already suggested this...

One thing I've noticed when I have board sensor errors is that sometimes my piece of wood is to blame. My machine is very sensitive and will error out if my board is too dark or if it has the slightest warp to it. So sometimes when I have multiple errors on a workpiece, I'll try another board and the machine will work fine. I've had quite a few problems with my machine throughout it's lifetime, but a large percentage of them can be tracked back to operator error.

If your piece of wood is too dark, it helps to run a piece of light masking tape around the outside edge of your wood to help the sensor recognize the edge.

Hang in there man... it's worth it when you get up the learning curve a little...
    Free Tutorials, Patterns & Projects at www.ALLCW.com

BigMax have you tried to use option 7 and just measure the board? I have a problem sometimes when I start a project the board starts to measure just fine then when it drops off the right side roller as your looking at the keypad it the board just kind of sits there. Sometimes a spotlight on the board will help sometimes only giving it one click helps sometime nothing helps. But if I do an option 7 before I load my project it runs thru find

Big Max, been there done that! I returned 3 machines before I decided to learn what was going on. My first CC was a lemon, but the the other 2 were workable. I just didn't take the time or had enough patience to deal with it.

As forth to the edge sensor check to see if the rubber gromet on the brass roller didn't slip back. And for the board sensor fine dust will block the sensor from detecting the board to measure.

With this machine you can't expect it to be trouble free. I have a $10,000 ShopBot that has given me trouble while trying to put it together! My Uncle who owns a sign shop owns $25,000 CNC and at first had a lot of problems.

What am I saying? Have some patience and learn to fix the small problems by routine cleaning after each project. Simple maintence by keeping the flex shaft lubed and other parts needing lubed.

Then if you need to send it to LHR and they replace all the components they know causes problems. Like my first CC the was a lemon if you have a machine like that? Then it is time to exchange it!

I made the choice do I want to deal with all the little problems or wash my hands of this thing? I own 2 CC so you know my decision! I use mine commercially and it can handle the load, but it is too slow. For me I may need a faster CNC for the fairs I make signs. But if speed is not an issue for you, this machine is a great product for the cost!

Well I hope that helped, remember we help each other and the staff at LHR are great. So with all these resourses give your CC a chance!

Rick

7. Default Bad Machines.

Big Max. This is my first time to post as I am a new member and just joined the forum. But I'v had the same problem with my machine. I bought mine June 15 of '07, and have every problem in the world wrong with it. The last time the board sensor needed to be checked, it was the ribbon cable that runs behind the rotor head. ( They thought.) Heck they changed so many things on mine I can't even remember all of them. I only live 90 miles from Houston though. So I just get in the ole truck and go and have them fix it. The first time they worked on it the replaced the Z motor, Z truck, and power supply and board sensor. Power supply had a short which caused Y stall.The second trip, the capacitor was bad, the third trip was for melted flex shaft. They also replaced the FFC cable, Z motor, spindle shaft, and the quick change. So, I've had my share of problems with the Sears machine. I was at the point not know what to do to try and get my money back, or get a new machine. But talking to TC down in Houston, talked me into trying keeping mine, Hell, it's almost brand new as much stuff that they have changed in it. It's running fine right now, been almost a month since I've had to go back to Houston. But I tell you, I've mad some nice things with this little machine while it's running. Only thing is that I'm no PC wiz, and thats the majorest problem. I'm learning little by little. I've been reading the forum for a while and glancing thru some of the projects and reading bout some of the problems and solutions. Will be asking lot of question in the future. Oh yeah, thanks so much to TC, Neal, Wes, Dave, and all the other folks over in Houston that took care of my machine problems. Just finished nother project whithout down time. Guess I'd better go for now, not getting enough sleep since the CC came along. Oh yeah, if ya move to the Gulf Coast, ya can get plenty of wood to have milled after each and every hurricane. lol. Good luck Big Max. Paul Brown

Thumbs up Hang in there

Big Max,
    I have had alot of the same problems. I live in Alaska, so I would obviously rather fix it myself than pay $800.00 round trip shipping. Some of the fixes that have helped were: pulling out the board sensor and blowing it out: I've had to take off the small plastic shield that covers the infrared sensor and it worked great. My shield had a small film on it, and that seemed to be enough to keep it from getting a reading from the sensor. I talked to T.C and Dave at Carvewright and they were more than helpful. They are sending extra parts to keep me going.
    I have a sign carving business and I've been doing some fairs with my machines. The machines may be slow on some projects, however I have 3 machines and at least 2 are running stong at any given time.
    I did start with compucarve and was very frustrated, so I orderd 2 more directly from Carvewright. To be honest with you, I've had the same problems with both. It does take some patience and alot of learning but when you get it figured out, the machine will make some unbelievable projects. My father has been carving signs by hand for 25 years and when I introduced this machine to his customers his business has tripled.
    I hope everything works out for you.
    Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12