Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how would this carve?

Thanks Ron, It is good to know how to fix a project, just in case.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

2. Default

Well it's been what seems like forever. I have had my machine in for service, as it would not run, but finally got it back and was able to carve the sign. Perhaps I should get closer, but what do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dalai Java.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by c0mmaND#R View Post
    Well it's been what seems like forever. I have had my machine in for service, as it would not run, but finally got it back and was able to carve the sign. Perhaps I should get closer, but what do you think?
    Hello c0mmaND#R,

Lookin' good! What kind of finish do you have in mind (stain, paint, both)?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

One thing that will also help a lot is to do the lettering in separate pieces, even if you do it in Coreldraw (so that you can add bevel effects, etc.) The reason for this is that you can then select that element and play with your "Bit Optimization" settings which will change the way it carves it to help eliminate that problem of the taper of the bit eating up the letters.

Changing the "Bit Optimization" on the the whole pattern may help you on the lettering but not look as good at some other part of the design, so I've been doing my text in separate elements and getting a lot better results...
    Free Tutorials, Patterns & Projects at www.ALLCW.com

5. Default

Thanks for the feedback. My wife thinks she can do a two stain operation, to make the objects and letters stand out from the background. So we will try that. If it doesn't work, it will be one stain.

Jon, I appreciate the feedback. I actually did this whole thing in Corel X3. I was able to use contours to not only reduce the negative effects of the tapered bit, but to also give the individual letters some shape (rounding). I will try what you have suggested though on the next project(s) and see what I can learn. Thanks again.

Scott

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12