Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how would this carve?

1. Default how would this carve?

I am a newbie and am embarking on a large (for me) project. Before I invest any significant money in wood (or 4 hours of time to carve!), I was wondering if anybody with experience could offer insight as to how this design would carve, or where a problem may arise. I designed the sign for a friend using CorelDraw X3. It is fairly large, ideally 10.5-11" x 18" x 0.75-1" thick. I would likely use cherry or oak, based on what I've read on the forums. Anybody have any input for me? Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

#R

Remember that you created the "whole" thing in Corel as a vector, then made it into a PTN via raster. Great looking sign, BUT, since everything is going to be carved using the 1/8" carving bit, and you have a 1" thick board being carved to a depth of 1/2". Your bit is going to really cut into your text characters (especially the smaller ones) As you probably used Corel's plethora of fonts, why now use those same fonts in Designer and only use the carving for perhaps your border, and or coffee cup and tree and make the depth 0.125 (1/8") or certainly no more than 0.25 (1/4") the tree and cup being a bit larger in order to allow for the carving if you choose the 0,25 depth.

Use your Text tool in Designer, choosing the same fonts you used in Corel, remember that if you Outline or Center Line cut it'll do it in vector (no carving bit problem if text is large enough for cutting bit for outline cut. If it's Center Line cut, then no problem at all providing you use the 60° bit for the smaller text. I'd use raster (standard text carving tool) for the larger text, but remember that the deeper the carve the wider the carve will be which is important to consider when spacing the characters and the shape of the "donut" holes of some characters

Because you can set vector carving to such things as the border (Outline Pattern, and depth cutting of a path), you can make your raster far less deep for your border. You can also make a rectangle inside the raster border and create a Carving region as deep as you'd like. Then make your Designer created text a different depth to make it carve wright and yet be below the border depth in height.

Just an idea.

Bob Hill
    Tampa Florida

3. Default

Bob,

Thanks for the input. I certainly have some work to do, as I am not sure I understand everything you said.

If I processed the sign as shown, it would use the 1/16" carving bit, right?
    I should make all the text in Designer, using only the border, tree, and cup in Corel? If I make a Carving region inside the raster border, then the tree and cup will be affected, I think. So should those be separate PTN files? What I take from your response is that I have omitted using Designer as a design tool, which I should correct. I need to get some more experience, quick!

Remember that the 1/16" carving bit quickly widens the deeper it cuts, which is the problem with raster cuts with fonts too close together or too small for the depth being carved. Are you familiar with how the vector in Designer works yet? Just ask, if you need some direction in that area.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BobHill View Post
    Remember that the 1/16" carving bit quickly widens the deeper it cuts, which is the problem with raster cuts with fonts too close together or too small for the depth being carved. Are you familiar with how the vector in Designer works yet? Just ask, if you need some direction in that area.

Bob
    Bob is right on the small text and cup art, they need the height adjusted. If you rotate the part you can see they come to sharp peaks. As far as the carving bit tapered, there is the solution of going with the 1/8 bit adapters, and go to a straight 1/16 ball cutter. This will significantly improve the small detail. If you are interested see this post about accessories that I have for sale.

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Nice looking design. I also would recommend breaking the artwork from the lettering, create a rectangle, then carve the region to the wanted depth.
    Avoid thin tall lettering and design walls whenever possible! Wood will chip out really easy. thin text is possible, but keep it short. For fine text and detail sink it into the wood instead of having it raised out. Again keeping it shallow.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

7. Default

I appreciate all the help! Bob, I must say I am not familiar with how the Vector in Designer works. If you could provide some help with that I am listening. Thanks.

I appreciate the other feedback about keeping raster text shallow and the info on the alternate bits. How does the Carvewright know if I am using the 1/32 bit that I saw on the post? I didn't see it listed in the approved bits, maybe I missed it.

Thanks again for all the help. When I get this thing carved, I'll post the results.

Scott

The 1/32 bit is not in the list. What will happen is that your detail will be off by .015 big per side, which i have found helps on small intricate detail. Keep in mind though that this tool is very fragile, and you will have to repeat the design until you reach the depth desired in .05 depth cuts. You will also have to run air blow on the tool to keep the chips cleared away.

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com

If you choose to carve detail or text int the wood instead of raised and it looks too shallow after cutting it, leave the board still in machine with rollers still cranked down. shut it down pull the card and change your design deeper and re load to card, then go back and recreate the carving, the machine is good at repeating itself. It is possible to create a file with just the area to be re- carved by deleting the OK cutpaths from the cut list and have the machine just re-carve the deeper detail.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

I have also had excellent results doing what Mike just described. You only need to repeat what you want to take deeper.

Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast