Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotary Jig newbie - Several Questions

There is also the possibility of tweaking the model in the 3d software to alter the symmetry. There are probably dozens of different ways to do it.

In my meantime here is another quick model for you to play with to get your methodology/process down. It would be cool if you could figure out how to scan your own model.

I don't have the rotary so don't know how the whole process of getting it into a pattern works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails comfort bird.gif  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Missed the post while posting my post. lol

I don't know how to do it with designer or the stl slicer. Since I don't have the rotary never tried.

Blender is free and can easily join the two sides together and also export as stl.

P.S. I just opened Designer and all the rotary functions are greyed out for me so no way for me to play with it.

Default Ornament

Interesting conversation between 2 who speak the same language. It gives me a clue of the different levels within the 3d design world. Thank you for what you share with us.
    I really liked the Titmouse that Oscar made and did a two sided carve using a scrap piece of 2x4 on normal carve looking to possibly make ornaments with better wood. Haven't done any sanding/finish work on it. Attached is the result, not the quality that Underdog does and wants to carve, but I may do some Xmas ornaments for the family. When you get this figured out please post a pic of the result.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20231207_163441.jpg  

Cool.

Bergerud says merging two halves can be done with Pattern Editor and STL Slicer in the thread linked below. Not sure I completely understand how he did it yet. I need to familiarize myself to the software again.
    Scanning for Rotary Carving (carvewright.com)
    Designer 1.187 Build 10870
    Designer 3.106 Build 38
    Pattern Editor
    Centerline
    Conforming Vectors
    2D Vector Drawing Suite
    STL Importer
    3D Pattern Modeling Suite
    Rotary Jig

Yeah, that softer wood tends to tear out and have stray fibers everywhere doesn't it?

For what it is, that carve is not bad. But it's gonna take a lot of elbow grease to sand it smooth, yes?

Gotta get you some some hard maple or cherry.
    Designer 3.106 Build 38
    Pattern Editor
    Centerline
    Conforming Vectors
    2D Vector Drawing Suite
    STL Importer
    Rotary Jig

Nice and actually since it is soft wood sanding should be fairly quick. Takes a lot longer to sand hard woods.

I am trying to figure out how Dan did it but I keep hitting the no rotary jig software wall. So can it be done? Dan showed it can, I just don't know how he did it without me owning the software.

But joining two halves of a model can also be done with 3rd party software. The learning curve on all the 3d modeling packages I use is pretty steep.

It would be easier in Designer though if you can figure it out.

Got the hard woods, just wanted to see what one would look like and scrap 2x4 is a cheap way to make a sample. Wife immediately said Xmas ornament when she saw it . Never learn to keep some things to myself, now have another honeydo. Sounds like there is a way to do what you need, good luck.

That STL file bird is pretty nice. Thanks so much!
    I might even be able to use it if I can figure out how to properly import it into the Rotary file. It keeps wanting to slice it. I'll review the tutorial and maybe it'll help.
    Meanwhile do you think you could make one where the tail was at this angle using the outline from the birds in these pix? (Sorry about the shadows.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bird1.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	89175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bird2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	89176
    Designer 3.106 Build 38
    Pattern Editor
    Centerline
    Conforming Vectors
    2D Vector Drawing Suite
    STL Importer
    Rotary Jig

Yes, I'll make one but I'm curious if it will work on a rotary because in my head it won't work. It is rotating around a common center. You can't do undercuts on the same cutting plane.

For anyone without the stl addon, here is the grey scale height map pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails comfort bird v003.png  

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast