Thread: Cover switch open

Default Cover switch open

In a nutshell, besides the cover switch being bad what else could cause this error? I believe both the old switch and the new switch I put in are fine. They both have the distinctive click when closed. If I repeatedly open and close cover the motor engages and turns spindle a little. I was starting to have this problem before my QC spindle broke. Now that I have new z-truck and carvetight installed I'm getting same error. Only 51 hours on motor. It's just a bummer.
    Thanks, Steve Whitney
    Youth passes, but with luck immaturity can last a lifetime.

The jerking of the cut motor has to do with the other cover switch - unrelated. Besides the switch itself, there is the plug at the other end of the wires by the Y motor. There is the FFC ribbon that could not be plugged in correctly on either end. Then there is the board sensor wire which can get pinched and ground out inside the y truck (changed the board sensor lately?)

Doing a sensor check are the other switches and encoders working properly?

I ask this because like posted above, a pinched board sensor cable can short out the 5 volts giving you a all the time open cover. It will also give you a rollers uncompressed I believe all the time... This is caused by pulling down the wire when changing a board sensor. A "Butt Floss" trick can work where you remove the board sensor and un plug the top and tug the cable UP then back down trying to dislodge it from the pinch. OR you will need to remove the Y truck and fix or even replace the cable.

Whenever you remove the top black cover you need to use CAUTION and hold the Clear Cover as it rests on the SWITCHES when off the machine sometimes snapping the plastic tang from the clear cover. Then the switch won't operate by the cover.

The plug for the left switch CAN be plugged in 180 out and that will give you a 100% open cover. WHITE wire in the bundle toward the center of the machine.

A shorted FFC Cable can cause this too.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08506_WEB.jpg   DSC08501_WEB.jpg   DSC08500_WEB.jpg   DSC08502_WEB.jpg  

DSC08507_WEB.jpg   DSC08492_WEB.jpg   DSC08510_WEB.jpg   DSC03367_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks so much for all the help. The more I am learning about machine by carefully step by step trying things, the more relaxed I feel doing it. I got out my old multimeter from bottom of toolbox and thought I would check for open in wires or bad switches. I found out bigger switch on right side for cut motor is OK. So is the old one it replaced. no big deal. The other one on left side(smaller) isn't working. Without ordering new switch right now could I just take out this switch temporarily to see if the machine would work. The other switch would still stop motor when lifting cover, Wouldn't it? Thanks again, Steve

Yes the cut motor switch will still stop the motor. For the close cover switch you might try cleaning/polishing the contacts. They might be just dirty.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I found out cover switch wasn't bad, it just needed to go in a little further. And thanks Al, for telling me about the connection being 180 degrees off, me bad. I have no close cover problem or compression roller problem after cleaning out both rollers with air as video showed. When I turn machine on now though it says Carvewright machine and instead of going to main menu it goes to accessory menu and I can not get it to go anywhere else. I believe it wants me to scan something. I can move X and Y with arrow keys, it homed to the left side, it goes up and down by itself. For some reason it thinks I have a scanner attached maybe. I am so sorry but this is the most problems I have had, but It is ten years old. If I would have known about the real need of the wall mounted vacuum systems, I would have got one earlier. Thanks to anyone Steve

It sounds like you need to go into the user options and change the scan setting from Z truck to cover.

http://support.carvewright.com/scan-...the-main-menu/
    Last edited by fwharris; 02-25-2017 at 07:25 PM.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

That did the trick! I do not know how my settings got changed because I didn't change them in the first place. It might have to do with putting a new z truck and carvetight spindle on. It might not be new to Carvewright but new to me. Thanks again to everyone who has helped. The spindle is quieter and doesn't seem to labor changing speeds. My wall mounted vacuum system and carvewright vacuum attachment work really great. As soon as I figure out how to upload pics you'll see a couple of my proud accomplishments. Recently Retired! I can now finish a few gifts I had already programmed and had not finished. Thanks again, Steve