Thread: Questions - Cutting out patterns using a carrier board

Default Questions - Cutting out patterns using a carrier board

After watching one of Steve's videos about cutting out patterns I had a few questions.

One of my questions is for a project that would be carving pendants from 1/4" to 1/8" stock.

Can I just stick random size/shape pieces to the carrier board using 2 sided tape?
    or....do I need to stick on same thickness pieces like rails along the edges?
    or....do I need to make the whole carrier board surface the same height without gaps between pieces to be carved? (like a window where the piece to be carved is set inside the opening)

Any input or links to videos will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Mark

I am new to this and have just been watching tutorials so far.
    My machine and accessories will be arriving shortly. I also have all of the software and add ons.
    Just need to learn how to use everything.

I found this Tips and Tricks article "Carving Jigs - Carrier Boards, Sleds and Rails" that explains a lot to me.
    But.....I am sure I will have more questions. So thank You in advance for your patience.

There are two significant factors when using a sled or carrier board. Compression roller drop and edge detection. If you use material that is smaller than the carrier board or sled then you have to take these two factors into consideration.

For the width, I usually make the carrier board without rails and the same width as the material to be carved. If the material is irregular in width then you will need rails that are the same thickness as the material. Then the compression rollers will always have a surface to maintain the compression. When measuring, the carrier board will come out from under one roller at a time. When this happens the board sensor will start to look for the edge of the board. If either side drops too soon it will cause an error message and/or not carve correctly.

For the length, I place the material in the center and use waste blocks that are the same thickness as the material to be carved and extend from the edge of the material to the ends of the carrier board. Of course you have to make the carrier board long enough to compensate for the 7" rule. If the material is irregular in shape, be sure it is securely anchored to the carrier board and use masking tape across the areas where the board is measured by the machine so the full length of the carrier board is measured.

There are many other methods but this will get you started.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 01-17-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by BurlSource View Post

One of my questions is for a project that would be carving pendants from 1/4" to 1/8" stock...

Any input or links to videos will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Mark
    Hi Mark,

Welcome to the CarveWright Family! I'm excited for you and we all look forward to helping you with any questions you may have in the future. Try to read and watch as many tutorials as you are able. Lots of info and lots to learn. The tutorials are a handy resource.

When cutting out items from thin material (anything less than a full 0.5" thickness), there is a Tips & Tricks article you might like to read that specifically covers that topic. It's a PDF you can print out if you wish. Here is the link:

Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights – ISSUE 12 September 2008
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Thank You Steve and mtylerfl .
    Sorry for the slow response.
    We have had lots of snow so internet service has been spotty.

My machine arrived so I will be setting it up and will get started with a couple very simple projects first.
    Then when I am ready I will take photos of what I want to do with the thin and irregular shaped stuff. I will also want to carve on some burl slabs.
    That way maybe someone will spot something I could do differently than what I was thinking.

I have watched most of the you tube videos a couple times. Some of Steve's I followed along doing the same thing in designer as shown in the video.

Don't forget to check out AskBud's you tube videos. These are very helpful for beginners. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuP...?feature=watch
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.