Thread: Would this work for a cane?

Default Would this work for a cane?

Trying to make my first cane.

• I made it a few inches long; I figure I can trim the length to be just right. Plus the ferrule/rubber tip I plan to use is slightly adjustable to dial it in just right.
    • I made a .25" deep by .5" wide arc hollow in the back, when joined this will allow for a half-inch rod to be epoxied into the center for strength.
    • I'm getting some weird artifacts around the handle in my designer preview; but it should be fairly smooth in the carve. And if not, I can sand it smooth.

Mainly looking for any input/advice/suggestions anyone might have for me. This is my first cane attempt, and so I am keeping it very simple. For future attempts I will probably try for more intricate handles...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cane2.PNG   cane1.PNG  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    - Ken
    Later model "B" Machine with CarveTight and Rubber belt upgrades
    RNB Model "A" Dust Collection, Scanning Probe, Rotary Jig
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline

Aaaaaaand... as soon as I posted this I noticed one issue which I needed to fix (and have already fixed) - the channel for the metal rod now stops 0.5" from the top of the cane.

I will have to use a half inch wooden dowel to plug the bottom inch or so of the cane, as the ferrule I am using secures by a screw - but since I don't have an exact length yet, I am just leaving the channel all the way to the bottom. That way I can get as much of the metal rod as possible in the length of the cane, no matter what it ends up being.
    - Ken
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline

I would use extrude or sweep instead of dome for the shaft. If the cane is to be 1" in diameter and made of two halves, should the board not be 1/2" thick? I think your cane would be 2" wide.

Also, you might make a pattern out of it and then use pierce instead of cutout.

As to the size of the cane; the handle is thicker than 1", which is why I went with a thicker board. And I did only eyeball/guesstimate it, but I am pretty sure I set it so it will carve 1/2" deep as well as 1" wide, so the two halves should be a 1" diameter. Of course, if it is slightly off, I can sand it round. And if it is majorly off, I can either re-create the pattern, or simply implement the mistake into a design feature and have the cane as an oval...

I tried both extrude and sweep, but neither seemed to give me the profile I wanted. They were both obviously ovular instead of half-round. I think to use those, I might need to have a 1/2" board thickness.
    - Ken

I see. I tried extrude and it seems ok to me. I also fooled with the extrude on the rear. I do not know how the puff will work. Could be some sanding there.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bergerud; 10-23-2016 at 07:20 PM.