Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cut motor is running but its really not!

1. Default

Well as painful as it was to spend another $2,000 I just purchased a brand new Carvewright cx and will now have 2 machines. I'm going to fix up this C machine on the side when I get some extra cash to throw at it. Now the 10 day lead time wait and 3-7 days shipping is going to be rough waiting but at least I'll be able to catch up. I spent the last 4 years building up a nice list of regulars who contact me every time they go to weddings, baby showers, every Christmas, etc. for custom signs and recently I've had to turn away a few orders so to keep having this older machine go down is more expensive in the long run.
    On the bright side I now have some time to work on the shop.

That was what I did. I was so worried about my machine breaking down here in Canada, that I bought a second machine. Now they never break down!!

"It's either the carbon brushes, the switch, the cut motor, the x-term board or the controller."

Lets see....brushes $ 15 , switches $ 10, cut motor $ 185, x-term board $ 62 , controller $ 299, and oh wiring harness and cables $ 70, and shipping (priceless) = $641 + shipping, tax so $700 for parts....

Good news is I'm not using the CW for commercial enterprise....bad news is this is expensive for a hobby.

So I'll continue to gripe until I figure out what's wrong with the darn thing...and then hopefully spend more time creating projects and carving rather than fixing...in the mean time my other hobbies are looking more and more attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by ronboley View Post
    "It's either the carbon brushes, the switch, the cut motor, the x-term board or the controller."

Lets see....brushes $ 15 , switches $ 10, cut motor $ 185, x-term board $ 62 , controller $ 299, and oh wiring harness and cables $ 70, and shipping (priceless) = $641 + shipping, tax so $700 for parts....

Good news is I'm not using the CW for commercial enterprise....bad news is this is expensive for a hobby.

So I'll continue to gripe until I figure out what's wrong with the darn thing...and then hopefully spend more time creating projects and carving rather than fixing...in the mean time my other hobbies are looking more and more attractive.
    I'm in no way suggesting you buy all new parts. (You do know that, right?)

I'm saying these are the possible points of failure. Check each.

Carbon Brushes - have you looked at them? How many hours since you last replaced them? (last set 2014) UPDATE: I see you replaced them in May 2016.
    Switches - are they all properly plugged in? Are they working when you run the test?
    Cut Motor - has it just lived it's life and needs to be replaced? Send in and we can test it for a $25 testing fee (covers x-term and controller, too)
    Cables - kink or break in them? - UPDATE: You had a kink, so you spliced and reconnected....?

UPDATE: X-term: did you look to see, if you fried the board?

Have you called us to troubleshoot at all?! I don't see any notes indicating you have, since 2013. UPDATE: you've had trouble for 4 WEEKS?!

Why are you putting yourself through this frustration, when we are here to help you figure it out?
    Last edited by lynnfrwd; 07-14-2016 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Saw posts from 4 WEEKS AGO!
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

See my post in http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...Wont-Run-Again. Cut motor problem appears to have been the wires/connections from the motor to the power supply or switch. Yep been fooling around with this for about 4 weeks or so. Work on it for a few days, leave on a short trip, come back, work on it for a few days, go again....unfortunately started having problems right in the middle of carving signs for my daughter's business so had to finish them by hand....usually don't have a deadline, see my posts under "secret projects".

Anyway wll call Monday for help...just at the end of my rope.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12