Thread: Z-axis help

1. Default Z-axis help

I am trying to do a 2-sided carve (rattleback toy) of a piece 2"x7"x.75" inserted in an mdf sled that's 3.5"x14"x1". I've made this carve probably 25 times previously, but not in several months.

The problem occurs after the 1st side is carved. I flip the board as requested and the board is re-measured. However, at the end of this process the spindle doesn't position itself over the board. Instead, it comes back beside the board (control panel side), and then moves directly into the side of the jig and stalls. The only thing I have been able to do is turn off the machine and begin again.

I tried to salvage the carving by deleting the 1st side carving in software and just carving the 2nd side. That almost worked, but about 2 inches into length of carve the spindle cut a groove about .25"x.25".

Help!

Sounds to me like you have z depth problems. Maybe a loose or dusty z encoder.

3. Default

So how do I remedy this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could also be the FFC ribbon. You have to check out the z motor system. Look over the FFC. Take the back cover off of the z motor and have a look inside at the encoder.

It is hard to say what could be wrong. There are many causes of the z loosing its position.

My thinking is that the machine is fine... since the first side carves just fine...

Looking at the jig that is 1 inch thick... Project is .75..... I would find a board that is .75 thick the same as the blank being cut...

I think the machine is "tilting" because of the 1 inch... Is their a Cut Path at the end of the project on the 2nd side?

1 inch and cut path = TILT.... End of Pin Ball Game....

It's not always the machine...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com