Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally Done --- Price Help

Default Finally Done --- Price Help

I do so much volunteer work I hardly have time for woodworking. One place I volunteer at is a childrens camp I work at twice a week. Things are not like they use to be and incoming funds have not been as well as in the past for the camp. So, we decided to have a large auction come this October. As my part I made this Armoire. I made a simular one a few years ago for the wife. Anyway, I worked on this for a year and a half. (As I said time is tough) The size is 36wx24dx75"h. On the sides becca inlace in inlayed, you see the carvings on the doors. On the drawer is another carving along with mother of pearl inlayed around the recessed area for the pulls. The dovetail on the drawer is in the shape of hearts. The inside instead of being a pole to hang cloths on I made shelves. The wood is Red Oak and the finish in Lawrence McFadden jell stain/finish which no longer exist. Now, I am not a business at all and my biggest question would be what price should I determine as the value of the Armoire for the benefit auction. I figure it cost me around $650 which was rough cut oak that I plained down that I got from a mill. I am thinking around $1,800.00 due to the detail and being a really one of a kind. Those that might have a really good idea please let me know if I am off base should be lower, or even higher. Thanks in advance & happy carving.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.JPG   002.JPG   003.JPG   004.JPG  

005.JPG   006.JPG   007.JPG   008.JPG  

Here is the last photo and the camp is a 501 C 3 if that makes a difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 009.JPG  

3. Default

In my area $1800 is about right.

That's a beautiful piece. Folks at benefit auctions often exceed the price of an item anyway. I don't think you'd be out of line at $2500 myself.

That is a beautiful piece of furniture. I am sure since the proceeds will be going to charity, it will go for more that $1800.
    Let us know what the final outcome is in October (curious minds).

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

I'm with Dick. $2500.00 wouldn't be out of line. This is an exquisitely built one of a kind item.
    Steve

Being made with solid wood, I would think the 2500 price would be close in value. Just take a look at what they want for paper covered MDF, or veneer covered MDF. Hope the benefit brings in some folks with nice pockets to bring in a fair price for this elegant piece of work.

Super job, Smowken D. I agree with the $2500 price tag. The CNC and joinery work set it apart and given it is a charity, the is a good price....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Thanks everyone. I will place the value as $2500 and hope for the best. The auction is October 22, 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemi View Post
    That is a beautiful piece of furniture. I am sure since the proceeds will be going to charity, it will go for more that $1800.
    Let us know what the final outcome is in October (curious minds).

Mike
    The auction was last night and a tough one. The Armoire went for $1,250. I was a little dissapointed, but it was the right price which our Lord wanted. Thanks to everyone and our county is the poorest in the State. So, another reason the money was not there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast