Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Flapper won't come out.

Quote Originally Posted by djarboe View Post
    Interesting. When the Rock Chuck guy was still answering the phone, I asked him about the bit set up. He recommended just leaving the carving bit in place, without using the cutting bit. He said the machine would readjust automatically when the cutting bit touched the bit plate during the actual cutting phase. Do you agree with this?
    He also sent me a photo of how to position the slot in the bit when using CW bits. He shows just placing the top of the slot just at the bottom edge of the Rock Chuck. Does this make sense?

Dave
    Ron's suggestions work well with the possible exception of the1/8" straight bit in my experience.
    If the bits are about the same length for the project there is no problem.
    If one bit is extra long, the machine may produce a Z-axis error because it hits the bit-plate when it was not expected.

As far as positioning the notch in the bit, leaving it below the bolt makes it extra-long which I try to avoid.
    If the notch is turned toward the cam that clamps the bit, it causes problems, but I've been doing it for years.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by DocWheeler View Post
    Ron's suggestions work well with the possible exception of the1/8" straight bit in my experience.
    If the bits are about the same length for the project there is no problem.
    If one bit is extra long, the machine may produce a Z-axis error because it hits the bit-plate when it was not expected.

As far as positioning the notch in the bit, leaving it below the bolt makes it extra-long which I try to avoid.
    If the notch is turned toward the cam that clamps the bit, it causes problems, but I've been doing it for years.

Where is the cam? I thought it was just a split collar that the bolt through it tightens. I'm still using 1/4" shank diameter bits. Are just this size bits still available?

I also have a replacement Rock Chuck adapter that takes 1/2" diameter shanks.
    Last edited by djarboe; 05-19-2016 at 02:15 PM. Reason: additional information

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345