Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: long bit and flex shaft

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Are you carving with the grain or across the grain? 1/16" deep bit or 1/8" deep bit? I know that carving with the grain with the 1/16" deep bit can cause problems. When moving to the right, the bit can bend into (under) the grain and cause a y stall. (This is why we cannot use the 1/16" deep bit with the rotary jig.)
    thanks for responding. I was carving against the grain. 1/16 deep bit. in a pine 2x12 from lowes.

Look closely next time and see if the bit is bending into the wood. Were the stalls always when going to the right? (Maybe a long shot.)

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Look closely next time and see if the bit is bending into the wood. Were the stalls always when going to the right? (Maybe a long shot.)

I remember it stalling out going both ways and it seems like it was cutting just as it always has...

Maybe you should try a project with the standard carving bit. Just carve a deep hole on normal and see if it stalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Rkoonz2 View Post
    ...I think it must be something with the cut motor, I checked the brushes and they will need to be replaced soon but not not yet worn out... I has stopped a few times and asked me to check cut motor...
    Hi Rich,

Thanks for posting the photos of your projects. Man, you have made a lot of GREAT projects! Very impressive.

Just a quick note about the motor brushes...I don't know if the majority of your problems are related to the cut motor or not (I suspect the bit might be "grabbing the wood" occasionally during some of your deep carves causing some of the error messages). However, we can't always tell by looking if the brushes need to be replaced. Mine have been worn down almost to the "nub" and were obviously in need of replacement and was easily spotted just by looking at 'em.

But I had a surprise one day when a friend came over with his machine because he was getting a lot of cut motor errors. First instinct was "needs new brushes". I took out the brushes and they appeared to have plenty of carbon left, so I dismissed the need for replacement...but, since I had some extra brushes on hand, I went ahead and replaced them anyway (thinking it wouldn't make any difference). Well, to my surprise, THAT WAS THE PROBLEM! After replacing what I thought were good brushes with a lot of life left in them, the machine worked perfectly after installing the new ones.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Try it on a scrap piece of wood without the sled. It may not solve your problem but at least it will eliminate one possibility. If it does work okay, try a different project again on scrap wood without the sled. Just using a methodical set of steps here and it may or may not help.
    Steve

I keep saying it but nobody listens. Try Lubraplate 930AA to lube your flex shaft. Lay the cable on an old newspaper and paint it with a 1/2" chip brush. My flex shafts hardly get warm and never hot. I have had to replace a spacer spring 2 times, but only because I saw it was in pieces when I lubed the shaft but was not causing any problems. (Don't remember if both wereon the older B or one on each the B and C.)
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Try it on a scrap piece of wood without the sled. It may not solve your problem but at least it will eliminate one possibility. If it does work okay, try a different project again on scrap wood without the sled. Just using a methodical set of steps here and it may or may not help.

sorry for the slow response... I was away for a few days. I was having the same problem before I did the sled. so its not the sled. Iv got rollers set up for it and everything... it will carve for about 2 inches then just stop... if i start it over it will air carve over the part that was carved then do about 2 more inches of carving then stop... I am going to try another carving that in only using the 1" bit...

Thanks cestout, I will give that lube a try if I have any more problems, Thats not my main worry right now, I just need it to keep carving! it wont carve long enough to get hot!

so i just did a .7" deep carving with the reg bit (40 min carve) all went well... I went back to carving the 1.5" deep bird house pattern and it carved another 2" or so and stopped with a y error again! I can not figure out why!

here is a pic of where it stopped... it didn't sound stressed, just going along fine then it just stops!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01bc3854a9c2250b967e705e4c2d56008269c33fab.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	765.2 KB 
ID:	80069

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast