Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letters

Default Letters

How to cut a 1 1/2 in thick letter completely out. Is that possible?

The maximum cut out depth is 1". Your options would be to either carve the letters out as pierced using the long 1/8" bit or using the out line feature and assign a bit to scribe the letter path and then cut them out with a scroll saw or cut two 3/4" letters and glue them up to make 1 1/2" letter.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    How to cut a 1 1/2 in thick letter completely out. Is that possible?
    Glenda

This is an example of what Floyd is talking about. Really thin tails on the letters will probably break off so your choice of fonts can really make a big difference. Grain direction may be a factor also.

As Floyd said, you will need the long 1/8" carving bit and Designer Version 3.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 02-07-2016 at 02:08 PM.
    Steve

Can you explain the piercing and can you buy a 2 inch bit?

I would cut out a hardboard pattern and trace it on the 1.5 inch wood and rough cut it out bigger on a band saw. Then double stick tape the pattern on top and use a guided router bit to finish it up.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

So what if I cut letter .75 and do a flip cut .75 and do center tabs? Is that even an option? And what kind of sled or carrier would I use to not waste board? TIA

In the carvewright?

How would I go about doing a cutout with shapes or letter with 1/4wood?

Mount the 1/4" wood on top of another board. Make sure you set the board thickness in designer as 1/4" .
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    How would I go about doing a cutout with shapes or letter with 1/4wood?
    With the object to be cut out selected, use the "Outline pattern(s)" tool" (Tools, Outline Patterns) to create a path around the perimeter. Select the path that it creates then select the "Cut Path Tool" from the Tools menu. In that dialogue box you can select the size of the bit to use and which side of the line for the bit to cut on. Selecting the 1/16" cutting bit has some advantages and disadvantages. It will make tighter radius cuts on the inside corners but it's limited to a cut depth of 1/4" thick or less. If you select it, be sure to set the maximum cut depth per pass to 1/8" or less to avoid breaking the bit. Then do as Floyd suggested and mount the 1/4" thick material to another board. This is necessary because the minimum thickness for the Carvewright is 1/2". I usually use 1/2" MDF.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 03-06-2016 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Wording and additional instructions
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast