Thread: question on settings for multi-layer pattern sign

Default question on settings for multi-layer pattern sign

I'm stumped. I am trying to layer patterns so that some elements are separate but other are inclusive.

Problem: I want to do a carve region that is irregular that will be the canvas for a texture pattern but then I want decorative elements that are not affected by the texture pattern inside the carve region along with text.

I've gotten some elements to work but can't quite make it all work. What are the magic setting/configuration?

I've searched the forum but haven't found where this is explained. Any help appreciated.

Edit: This will be my first sign that I carve.

You can encapsulate properties inside of a group so they do not affect objects outside of the group. If you post what you are trying, I will give it a shot.

Dan, I have a texture pattern overlayed on a carve region but so far I can only get the texture on the raised area and not in the carved region where I want it. Once that occurs I want to add some additional patterns and text for the design.

So I am looking for pretty much the opposite of what is in the picture (sorry mpc so too large to upload) i.e. texture in the carve region and raised area flat.

I know I can use the select texture feature in designer but the installed ones in designer 2.xx aren't what I am looking for. I will settle for one of them if I can't figure this out though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails test.PNG  

Would you not just apply clip carving inclusive to your texture pattern?

I am off to sleep. If that is not it, maybe you can post a simpler sample of what you want so I can play with morning coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Dan, I have a texture pattern overlayed on a carve region but so far I can only get the texture on the raised area and not in the carved region where I want it. Once that occurs I want to add some additional patterns and text for the design.

So I am looking for pretty much the opposite of what is in the picture (sorry mpc so too large to upload) i.e. texture in the carve region and raised area flat.

I know I can use the select texture feature in designer but the installed ones in designer 2.xx aren't what I am looking for. I will settle for one of them if I can't figure this out though.
    Would just putting the texture inside you carve region to the trick?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Dan, thanks and have a good night. That was it. Two hours playing around with it and I couldn't figure it out. I was punching too many buttons in the wrong order. Too tired and brain not working. Excited to see how this design carves. I finally took the plunge and I'm a pattern vendor now. Still playing around with the texture for this though. I was thinking dragon scales.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails test.PNG  

fwharris, thank you. My brain was just not working. It was the irregular shape of the pattern I was using for the carve region that was throwing me off. Dan knows this stuff like the back of his hand and I am glad he is a resource. Same for you.