Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New flex shafts?

Default New flex shafts?

Anybody purchased a new flex shaft over the past 2-3 months? Wondering if the manufacturer changed or if they are made a little different now. I got a new one not too long ago that I'm just really getting to use now and this one is much stiffer than the old one and this newer one even though properly lubed runs super hot but only right in the middle at the bend. The bottom by the cut motor and the top at the z truck are both cool.
    It fits fine, drops right in like it should. Any ideas? I read through a lot of the old threads and didn't see any solutions except buying a new one but at $75 plus shipping, that's not a good option.

I think it is normal that the newer core would be stiffer. Is the spring loop working to help straighten out the middle bend? I would do a few short, light carves to "break" it in.

If it keeps running hot, you may have a problem. Make sure the core is free floating in the sheath. You know, not being compressed between the spindle and the motor.

It fits nicely in the motor & z truck and I'm almost certain its free floating. As for the sheath it has a regular natural arch. I don't recall it looking any differently than the last flex shaft which lasted 3 years/800 hours. The middle gets too hot to hold so I have to keep stopping it after 10 minutes to cool. The only difference I know of is the new flex shaft is really stiff compared to the old one but like you said it might need to break in...but it's hard to break in if I cant keep running it.

Maybe do the cut motor test and let it run free for awhile. If it heats up doing that, I guess something is wrong.

You might try flipping it around. Maybe it works its way out of one end and is not floating while it runs.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Maybe do the cut motor test and let it run free for awhile. If it heats up doing that, I guess something is wrong.

You might try flipping it around. Maybe it works its way out of one end and is not floating while it runs.
    When I received mine I had used it once and it heated up so I lubed it and now it works fine.I thought it would be shipped ready to use but I guess I was wrong.I was glad I ordered the lube at the same time, it took three weeks to ship.

quick question, kinda of related, how and where is the flex shaft lube product listed on the CW web site?
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

Here ya go,

http://store.carvewright.com/product...88&cat=&page=1
    Service & Parts/Maintenance Products/Flexible Shaft Penetrating Lubricant (Ground S&H
    ONLY)

Quote Originally Posted by Robkjv1611 View Post
    Wondering if the manufacturer changed or if they are made a little different now.
    I thought once that some flex cores could be wound tighter than others. If you think your flex is stiffer than it should be, lets do a test. I have a new unused core to compare to. Can we devise a way to compare stiffness. How it hangs? How tight a circle it wraps?

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I thought once that some flex cores could be wound tighter than others. If you think your flex is stiffer than it should be, lets do a test. I have a new unused core to compare to. Can we devise a way to compare stiffness. How it hangs? How tight a circle it wraps?
    I'd be down for that but how long have you had the new core? I'm comparing my old one to this new one. I just know from a few years of handling the old that it was much more flexible. That may be because after use it loosens up but this new one I'm having a hard time running for periods longer than 10 minutes. It only heats up in one place. I can pull the flex shaft out after running it and its cool on both ends but there is a spot directly in the middle that is smoking hot and has even changed to a dark color from the heat.
    I'll try any test you can come up with to see if maybe they're made any differently now.

"Changed to a dark color from the heat" does not sound good. Did you make sure the hole in the motor end was cleaned out? Does the core go into the motor end so that only about 1/2" is protruding from the spindle end?

When I get home from work, I will hang all three of my cores in a "droop" test and post a picture. I have a new one, one with ~100 hours and one with ~800 hours. I have had the new one for quite awhile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast